+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you look for in a new tech. ? ( Your input is desperatly needed )

Post Likes
    The biggest problem with schools is that they'll take anybody with money. There is no qualification process at all, at least not one that's worth a tinker's dang.

Consequently, the same kids that come out of school thinking that they know everything, often have no talent whatsoever for the trade.

So, if you are building a program from scratch, you better be certain about the kind of people you accept into the program if you want to have successful students.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    ............Come learn HVAC and in 9 months you'll have a great job making tons of cash. You'll be able to have a rockin' apartment, a flashy car, and all the pussy you can handle.".............
    Is it too late to sign up?
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    If the candidates personal car is a Ford , he's hired on the spot.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    If the candidates personal car is a Ford , he's hired on the spot.
    Why?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    The biggest problem with schools is that they'll take anybody with money. There is no qualification process at all, at least not one that's worth a tinker's dang.

Consequently, the same kids that come out of school thinking that they know everything, often have no talent whatsoever for the trade.

So, if you are building a program from scratch, you better be certain about the kind of people you accept into the program if you want to have successful students.

I will give my opinion since I went through school about 5 or so years ago. We started with a group of about 35 people and dropped 5 before theory was done in a month. Now most of these people some how or another weren't paying anything to be there ( If anyone knows please let me know) and they seemed to be there to burn time and cause aggravation in the classroom with stupid questions that were told to them in the first week. Long story short I am friends with one of my teachers still to this day and he tells me most all the students go back to him and let him know their progress in the field. Only 5 people out of 30 including myself are still in the field today. Many took interviews and because of appearance( Ink, Piercings,Gold teeth, Dreads) did not get jobs. If you can wean out the people that are there for a free ride and only take the ones that really want to be there your life will be much easier and you will have a much better job placement rate. My

Post Likes
    Right Attitude

Post Likes
    Bring it on ! my students need yours tough love and complete candor if the are going to get employed out here . I you don't tell me I wont know, and I wont be able to get them employed so please-keep it coming ,from your mouth directly to my students ears !

Post Likes
    Thanks G.T I see your in Cali. also, were in Sacramento . Thank you for you input if I am going to get these guys work I must get them ready for the real world .

Post Likes
    Reading this and remembering a few conversations that I've had with guys who WEREN'T hired...

As part of their training, have them run through mock job interviews and grade them on it.

Show them how to dress for and prepare for an interview as well as how to conduct themselves in an interview.

Post Likes
    Employers don’t tell you why a candidate wasn't selected usually and I don’t pry because it’s their choice but it would be nice if they let me know so I can fix a student’s errors and let them know what they need to work on and avoid burning bridges with future companies for other trainees because if 1trainee doesn’t work out some employers won’t even pull potential candidates from your program anymore making it tough for future students..

Post Likes
    Again...you have an impossible job. You will never produce a field ready tech. Only the field can produce a field ready tech. It would be nice if experienced techs would help, as they do here; but that is often not the case.

Post Likes
    So.....

How will you vett prospective students to see if they are a "fit" for the program?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    So.....

How will you vett prospective students to see if they are a "fit" for the program?
    Simple. Let all the students know the first day that you have high standards and will not provide a reference to any student who doesn't meet your standards. After all its you and your program the employer is looking at to award any interview. If a student is late to class repeatedly no reference. If a student shows up to class high, drunk, or hung over no reference. Etc etc. and stick to it.

Post Likes
    Make sure they are not afraid of heights or confined spaces. They need to know how to setup and climb ladders without fear.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    Again...you have an impossible job. You will never produce a field ready tech. Only the field can produce a field ready tech. It would be nice if experienced techs would help, as they do here; but that is often not the case.
    100% truth

you are pushing a rock up hill. good luck with that. I have taught HVAC in a for profit school. It is simply an exercise is frustration. All of the attributes required are not present in each student yet you will be required to let 'unqualified' students into the program too. Students who aren't cut out for the job or who (as i have found over and over again) really have little to no interest, will slow the progress of and discourage the few students who are qualified and want to learn. Of course there aren't usually enough 'ideal' students to support a program and so the program needs those uninterested students... it's a catch 22. A foundation in basics of electricity and refrigeration cycle and all of that stuff is great but the main factor is integrity and work ethic. If you have those things you will be successful in this field. if you don;t you likely will not. Don't show up to the job 15 minutes late and then take the time to smoke a cigarette outside the door before you come in.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Simple. Let all the students know the first day that you have high standards and will not provide a reference to any student who doesn't meet your standards. After all its you and your program the employer is looking at to award any interview. If a student is late to class repeatedly no reference. If a student shows up to class high, drunk, or hung over no reference. Etc etc. and stick to it.
    I tried this and wound up having to take it a step furher.. if you are continually late, high, drunk, absent, don't return from break, etc... you aren't allowed to ask questions. My investment -as an instructor- in you will match your investment in the class. If you invest yourself then there is no limit to what i am willing to do to help you along in your career - reference letters, taking you out on jobs on the weekends or after class, whatever it takes BUT if you don't care enough to come to class regularly or apply yourself during the labs or show up on time, etc.. then i don;t feel the need to do anything for you but read the paragraph out of the book and grade your papers. 'Hey, teach, can i come in after school one day for some extra help. I'm just not getting it.' my response is 'that's because you don't come to class or apply yourself or care, so the answer is no.' why should i stay late to help you when you aren't even willing to help yourself?

Post Likes
    Thanks Tommy ! I had a talk with the class and let them know the truth about what employability actually is !

Post Likes
    No offence what so ever ! Its called keeping isht real and I need that honesty if I am going to build solid techs/people . Thanks !

Post Likes
    Great ! stuff I am nagging the isht out of these guys from now on and I will keep on their asses and try to weed out those who are just hear filling seats .

Post Likes
    Tell them to eat, drink and sleep hvac and after yrs and yrs they might understand what the hell is going on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in