Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Oh I just thought of something else. Don't call me and ask me to run over to where you're at to bail you out. Call and ask questions about what issue you're having, and get a point in the right direction. If you're stuck you better have numbers available, and not it "such and such checked good".

We have a local trade school which advertising is deceitful IMO. The radio ad basicaly says "Hey all you broke losers out there. Come learn HVAC and in 9 months you'll have a great job making tons of cash. You'll be able to have a rockin' apartment, a flashy car, and all the pussy you can handle." I know you are unable to pick and choose who attends your classes. If someone was just honest with these potential students up front and filltered out canidates who may not succeed. Yes, I know this woud never fly in the PC world we live in.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    We have a local trade school which advertising is deceitful IMO. The radio ad basicaly says "Hey all you broke losers out there. Come learn HVAC and in 9 months you'll have a great job making tons of cash. You'll be able to have a rockin' apartment, a flashy car, and all the pussy you can handle." I know you are unable to pick and choose who attends your classes. If someone was just honest with these potential students up front and filltered out canidates who may not succeed. Yes, I know this woud never fly in the PC world we live in.
    Hey you got there number?

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    You need to be working, not surfing the forum.

1: tell them if they cannot be clean, sober, and on time ready to work they should go to plumbing school
    2: teach them basic electricity. BASIC!! Don't spend weeks on theory and electrons. I'm talking about how a motor works, how a contactor works, how a transformer works.
    3: teach them how to read wiring diagrams and understand the sequence.
    4: teach them how a refrigeration system works, I mean all of it. How the metering device does what it does and why.
    5: teach them to hurry up while taking their time, I mean check a safety Circut from the load back instead of starting at the the first safety and going one at a time till they find the open one kinda stuff
    6: teach them to ask questions not tell their journeyman, if they are lucky enough to have one, what they think they know
    7: teach them not to give up!! Call for help yes but don't say I can't and sit on their hands and let someone else do it. They can and with a little help now and then will.

Most of the stuff they are teaching now is way to in depth and they will likely forget it before they ever use it and will have to be taught it agin. Prepare them to learn!! They will go further faster with basic knowledge and the ability to communicate, learn, and work.

Oh and by the way good for you. I love what you are trying to do. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    My apologies. I was wrong. I checked out their website and all that can be had in 7 months, not 9.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

I think also a lab where you're trying to troubleshoot something while one of the other students "pretends" to be the customer. Have them be the the point of annoying and ask all kinds of ridiculous questions you usually have to answer without thinking and not get derailed from your train of thought.

The biggest problem with schools is that they'll take anybody with money. There is no qualification process at all, at least not one that's worth a tinker's dang.

Consequently, the same kids that come out of school thinking that they know everything, often have no talent whatsoever for the trade.

So, if you are building a program from scratch, you better be certain about the kind of people you accept into the program if you want to have successful students.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    ............Come learn HVAC and in 9 months you'll have a great job making tons of cash. You'll be able to have a rockin' apartment, a flashy car, and all the pussy you can handle.".............
    Is it too late to sign up?
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

`. .` .>(((>

`... `. .` .>(((>

.` .>(((>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

If the candidates personal car is a Ford , he's hired on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    If the candidates personal car is a Ford , he's hired on the spot.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    The biggest problem with schools is that they'll take anybody with money. There is no qualification process at all, at least not one that's worth a tinker's dang.

Consequently, the same kids that come out of school thinking that they know everything, often have no talent whatsoever for the trade.

So, if you are building a program from scratch, you better be certain about the kind of people you accept into the program if you want to have successful students.

I will give my opinion since I went through school about 5 or so years ago. We started with a group of about 35 people and dropped 5 before theory was done in a month. Now most of these people some how or another weren't paying anything to be there ( If anyone knows please let me know) and they seemed to be there to burn time and cause aggravation in the classroom with stupid questions that were told to them in the first week. Long story short I am friends with one of my teachers still to this day and he tells me most all the students go back to him and let him know their progress in the field. Only 5 people out of 30 including myself are still in the field today. Many took interviews and because of appearance( Ink, Piercings,Gold teeth, Dreads) did not get jobs. If you can wean out the people that are there for a free ride and only take the ones that really want to be there your life will be much easier and you will have a much better job placement rate. My

Right Attitude

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast