Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    ...and THIS is why I'm somewhat opposed to making it illegal to own guns based upon a misdemeanor offense.

A REAL crime? Sure, prohibit that person, but speeding?

Nah.

It's unrealistic.
    I concur, the laws of this state are getting ridiculous. And now many of the cop cars have ILRC (Instant License Plate recognition Cameras) that tell the officer

1) License suspended or revoked
    2) any outstanding warrants
    3) Insurance lapsed or suspended
    4) Inspection is past due
    5) Registration suspended or revoked
    6) How many DWI's (if any)

I see cop cars patrolling parking lots now. Isn't that special
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    I concur, the laws of this state are getting ridiculous. And now many of the cop cars have ILRC (Instant License Plate recognition Cameras) that tell the officer

George Orwell.....

Paging George Orwell.

1984 was a warning, NOT a blueprint.

I forgot to mention, EVERY moving violation in NYS has a "surcharge" attached to it.

Even if your traffic ticket is dismissed, you get hit with a minimum $85 surcharge.
    The surcharges start at $85 and go up to $500

A failure to register your vehicle is a $50 fine......and a $85 surcharge (mandatory)

There is also a surcharge for hailing a cab in NYC, it's only 50¢ but it's a mandatory charge

also in NYC some up scale bars are charging a $2 surcharge for ordering your drinks "neat" (without ice) thats right, it cost EXTRA to remove the ice from your cocktail.....this state sux
    BEING AN ADULT

A major purpose for the constitution was to limit government. The constitution protects us from our own best intentions. As we face varying and immediate changes and fads "well meaning" politicians want to quickly "do something" and pass absurd laws that simply remove freedoms from the lawabiding and do nothing to actually curb illegal activity. So, the constitution is there to inhibit such sillyness.

That worked well until the progressives placed their kind in the court system as judges. Now, instead of the courts protecting the constitution they are using their power to changed it. The simply and clearly worded second amendment has already been violated and now is in the process of more voilations.

If anyone thinks they can end all crime they are deluded. Self-defense is an innate instinct and right! The second amendment allows for the people to retain power over the government and the criminals. A firearm makes an otherwise defenseless young mother or an old lady more than equal to a tough criminal attempting to commit a crime against her, her children or her home!!!

The law ticketed every car on our street last night for parking with the drivers side against the curb..... 26 bux a pop.

Im going to drive thru one of the more ritzy neighborhoods in the morning and see how they park their cars..... then... I only paid one of our tickets....the one for my work vehicle...... but if I see cars parked the other way Im going to call the police and turn them in and then after a couple of days....if they have not been turned around.....Im going to court on the 4th.
    One things for _______ sure, ________ rock didnt land on ______ sorry ___. That ___ __ _ _____ wasnt nowhere near _______ a _______ years ago. __ aint even a ______, __ is half _______ and half ________.

Would that not make cops more efficient at doing their job? Isn't that what you would want? Why would you pat these guys so much if they only catch one person a shift?
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    The law ticketed every car on our street last night for parking with the drivers side against the curb..... 26 bux a pop.

Im going to drive thru one of the more ritzy neighborhoods in the morning and see how they park their cars..... then... I only paid one of our tickets....the one for my work vehicle...... but if I see cars parked the other way Im going to call the police and turn them in and then after a couple of days....if they have not been turned around.....Im going to court on the 4th.
    I dont think seeng how other cars park would help you. Two wrongs dont make a right would likely be the judges response if he was even willing to respond. Why not just park your vehicles the right way? Thats a pretty standard law. Its safer when you pull the car into traffic and helps people know if a street is a one way street or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    MOVE!!!
    if it were only that easy, I'd be outa here so fast all you would see outa me is vapor trail.
    BEING AN ADULT

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Would that not make cops more efficient at doing their job? Isn't that what you would want? Why would you pat these guys so much if they only catch one person a shift?
    well for one thing, if you forgot to make an insurance payment or if it's late, IF it comes up on the computer, even if you made the payment they will tow your vehicle. The charge maybe dismissed, but you still owe the surcharge and the towing fees.

It use to be the cops had discretion, not any more. The law in NYS is cut and dry. Mostly you loose.
    BEING AN ADULT

well for one thing, if you forgot to make an insurance payment or if it's late, IF it comes up on the computer, even if you made the payment they will tow your vehicle. The charge maybe dismissed, but you still owe the surcharge and the towing fees.
    Good motivation to pay your insurance in a timely manner.

You have only yourself to blame for late payment.

correct, last year if you got an 1180D (NYS Vehicle and traffic code for speeding) you could GO (you had to physically show up) to court and tell the DA you made a mistake and weren't paying attention and you promise not to do it again and generally the DA would reduce the ticket to "failure to obey a traffic device" (right on red w/o stopping) or if you were going 85 in a 65 they would drop it to 75 (20 over is three points, 15 or less is one point) and the fine was different. So they passed a law that said you get nailed for 85, you’re screwed. It's now a misdemeanor and they could remove your firearms.
    What you are describing is also in CA. When convicted of going twice the speed limit or over 90mph it is considered “reckless driving”, a misdemeanor. Other examples of “reckless” are street racing, burnouts, wheelies, drunk driving, etc. They all show an irresponsible attitude and a blatant disregard for other people’s safety. That bad attitude could spill over to gun safety too.

Failure to register your vehicle (or late registering) misdemeanor......guns are gone.
    We need a law like that. I’d imagine 20% of the cars in some areas of LA are not registered, have no insurance and are driven by people without licenses. I’d like to see those people lose their rights to own a gun. But liberal CA would see that as “war on the lower class”.

It is very costly to make a law a misdemeanor over an infraction. I don’t see the need to make not registering a car a misdemeanor. Here it is like a fix-it ticket…no crime, just extra costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    What you are describing is also in CA. When convicted of going twice the speed limit or over 90mph it is considered “reckless driving”, a misdemeanor. Other examples of “reckless” are street racing, burnouts, wheelies, drunk driving, etc. They all show an irresponsible attitude and a blatant disregard for other people’s safety. That bad attitude could spill over to gun safety too.

We need a law like that. I’d imagine 20% of the cars in some areas of LA are not registered, have no insurance and are driven by people without licenses. I’d like to see those people lose their rights to own a gun. But liberal CA would see that as “war on the lower class”.

It is very costly to make a law a misdemeanor over an infraction. I don’t see the need to make not registering a car a misdemeanor. Here it is like a fix-it ticket…no crime, just extra costs.
    thats because 20% of the population of Mexifornia is illegal aliens, get rid of them and your problems are solved.
    BEING AN ADULT

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast