Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    What are you gunna do? write a liberal letter to the prosecutor and sign it Jane?
    ...and they call me a troll.

...and they call me a troll.
    They sure do!
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    I doubt that guy’s lawyer has even spoken to the Persecutor yet. IOW, he doesn’t even know what charges he’s actually facing…let alone jail time.

So little is known about this guy that it isn’t even worth repeating. IMO, if he gets jail time, it won’t be for this lone offense.
    Probably no jail time at all. Most likely, he'll never be able to legally own a firearm for the rest of his life though.

I doubt that guy’s lawyer has even spoken to the Persecutor yet. IOW, he doesn’t even know what charges he’s actually facing…let alone jail time.

So little is known about this guy that it isn’t even worth repeating. IMO, if he gets jail time, it won’t be for this lone offense.
    so you are with some legal defense team???

The man is facing 5 years in jail, one for each count. This NYS, if you think this is going to get plea bargained down, I dare you to come here and challenge the court system. We would welcome it. We even hope you win. But you won't see anyone in this state holding there breath.

This guy is going to be made an example of what the state will do if your caught with Hi-cap mags.

It's getting so bad here that they passed a law that you can NOT plea bargain down a speeding ticket.

So get in your plane and jump on over, I'd love to see and hear you plead your case to a judge in NY.
    PUB'S
    The Official sunblock of Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Probably no jail time at all. Most likely, he'll never be able to legally own a firearm for the rest of his life though.
    don't bank on that. I'll bet anyone $10 right now this guy spends time in jail.
    PUB'S

How much does it cost to blow off 30 rounds in 10 seconds?
    Always here

Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    How much does it cost to blow off 30 rounds in 10 seconds?
    If ya have to ask, ya probably can't afford it.
    I stocked up on ammo when it was "affordable." I really don't know how much it would cost at this point in time.

I used to get that reply with my supra, or just nice cars in general. But I just thought it would be interesting to know that fact. I could see you dumping 150-500 a day if you're really in to it. But many things are a lot to run...power boat....400-600 an hour for gas, different strokes..........
    Always here

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    so you are with some legal defense team???

The man is facing 5 years in jail, one for each count. This NYS, if you think this is going to get plea bargained down, I dare you to come here and challenge the court system. We would welcome it. We even hope you win. But you won't see anyone in this state holding there breathe.
    What the police arrest you for, what they initially charge you with, what the prosecutor initially charges you with and what they are willing to drop the charges to are all very different charges entirely. Also what jail time they threaten you with and what the courts are allowed by law to give you if you are found guilty of all charges are also very different. And I didn’t even mention how priors can affect the case.

They always talk maximum sentencing because it catches the ear of the public. In this case it seems to include you.

It's getting so bad here that they passed a law that you can NOT plea bargain down a speeding ticket.
    Exactly what is “pleaing down a speeding ticket”? Does that include traffic school? Besides what is lower than an infraction to plea a speeding ticket down too? One point is one point. Who cares if it is rolling a stop or speeding? They are all the same in the eyes of the insurance co.

So get in your plane and jump on over, I'd love to see and hear you plead your case to a judge in NY.
    It’s not about what I could do there in your court system. It’s about what the multitude of other people like me, with a clean record, have received from the courts under the same circumstances.

I will bet you $10 he will get no jail time if he has a clean record. As for not being able to own firearms in the future, I’m OK with that. Too many own them now as it is and we need tighter restrictions on who owns them. Maybe extend the restriction to anyone convicted of a misdemeanor too.

Maybe extend the restriction to anyone convicted of a misdemeanor too.
    I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Maybe extend the restriction to anyone convicted of a misdemeanor too.

IMO, it would depend on the misdemeanor.

Here, in PA, it is a misdemeanor with a POSSIBLE sentence of 2 years.

Doesn't mean that you need to be sentenced for the 2 years, just that the crime carries a possible term of two years.

If I'm reading jmac's post correctly, conviction of this offense would qualify and, thus, prohibit him from owning firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    IMO, it would depend on the misdemeanor.

Here, in PA, it is a misdemeanor with a POSSIBLE sentence of 2 years.

Doesn't mean that you need to be sentenced for the 2 years, just that the crime carries a possible term of two years.

If I'm reading jmac's post correctly, conviction of this offense would qualify and, thus, prohibit him from owning firearms.
    correct, last year if you got an 1180D (NYS Vehicle and traffic code for speeding) you could GO (you had to physically show up) to court and tell the DA you made a mistake and weren't paying attention and you promise not to do it again and generally the DA would reduce the ticket to "failure to obey a traffic device" (right on red w/o stopping) or if you were going 85 in a 65 they would drop it to 75 (20 over is three points, 15 or less is one point) and the fine was different. So they passed a law that said you get nailed for 85, your screwed. It's now a misdemeanor and they could remove your firearms.

Failure to register your vehicle (or late registering) misdemeanor......guns are gone.

Basically, If you live in NYS you are a criminal.....you just haven't been charged yet.
    PUB'S

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    correct, last year if you got an 1180D (NYS Vehicle and traffic code for speeding) you could GO (you had to physically show up) to court and tell the DA you made a mistake and weren't paying attention and you promise not to do it again and generally the DA would reduce the ticket to "failure to obey a traffic device" (right on red w/o stopping) or if you were going 85 in a 65 they would drop it to 75 (20 over is three points, 15 or less is one point) and the fine was different. So they passed a law that said you get nailed for 85, your screwed. It's now a misdemeanor and they could remove your firearms.

Failure to register your vehicle (or late registering) misdemeanor......guns are gone.

Basically, If you live in NYS you are a criminal.....you just haven't been charged yet.
    ...and THIS is why I'm somewhat opposed to making it illegal to own guns based upon a misdemeanor offense.

A REAL crime? Sure, prohibit that person, but speeding?

Nah.

It's unrealistic.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast