+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 80 hours a week?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WMG View Post
    I went to A/C crash course (2 weeks) a year and a half ago. After that I read the text book and every installation guide, youtube video and HVAC-talk forum I could. I am now working for the biggest HVAC company in the US. Or so they claim. Any guesses? Aside from all the safety rules and corporate BS I have to deal with it is the best job I have ever had. It is also a great place to learn because they do everything by the book. Micron guages, static pressures, subcool are things that were never mentioned at my last place of employment. However it is February and I currently work about 55 hours a week and in the summer we will be pushing 80 hours a week. Is it too much to ask to work for a company that says "go home" at 40 hours? I am all about the 40 hour work week and I absolutely hate working while I am tired. Overtime pay is nice but with me bieng a generation X brat I think we can all understand. I might have to go back to mom and pop and crawl under rusty trailer houses with Brown Recluse spiders and chiggers. Thanks guys
    80 hours a week! But are you truly working 80 hours. I used to work for a shop that did a lot of quoted work. So techs would bill themselves out for 80 but in reality only do 50-60 hours of actual work. Just saying those long weeks catch up with you quick and burn you out.

Post Likes
    I hate 40 hour weeks. I had 40 hour weeks when I was still in school. Right now, I get anywhere from 48-52 hrs in a regular week. If I'm on call, a few more hours isnt out of the ordinary.

Post Likes
    Source and non-Union Hussmann (here in the SW) works 50-60 Hr Wks, 70-80 Hr Wks when on-call stand-by. They can keep those Hrs, I'd rather do a Union 40 Hr Wk at $5 more an Hr!

Post Likes
    It's your call. If you don't want those hrs go somewhere else. Last place I was at I averaged 70 hrs a week. 1 year and I was done. Left on good terms, at least I thought I did, and went some where else. Been there about 8 yrs now. Work about what I want, sometimes more sometimes less but its balanced. Sometimes you gotta suck it up. I pulled a 36hr day awhile back. Me and another tech. Customer had to have the machine up, frozen fluid cooler with about 100 ruptures and a 2 week minimum lead on new coil. Had to be done so we sucked it up and got it done. That's the job, on the refrigeration or industrial side anyway. It was about 20 degrees outside and windy but we got in a rythem and actually had a good time pulling it off. Point is your gonna have to put in some OT in this trade or starve.

Post Likes
    I think we may work for the same company the only difference is I'm in ohio and only worked about 7 hours last week. In the summer we work 70 + hours a week it sucks but at times like right now when I'm "on vacation" it evens out.

Post Likes
    That's way too many hours unless you're young and single. I can see an extra busy week once in a while but month after month means they need more help. Paying 40 hours a week overtime for each employee can't be good for the bottom line.

Post Likes
    work it and save the money while your young and your body can handle it. buy your house and pay cash. you will have a huge head start on life. when your older and busted up then you can cruise the 40 hr week. your x box will still be there when you slow down.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

We have freedom because somebody fought for it.
    We keep it because we are willing to fight for it.
    We lose it because we are not willing to fight for it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    . Paying 40 hours a week overtime for each employee can't be good for the bottom line.
    Why do you say that?

Is the company not charging out overtime rates?

If I charge overtime, the company charges overtime, we both get more from the customer?no?

Post Likes
    80 hours is a little too much. 60 I would do. we all need a break. this trade is physically and mentally demanding. you don't want to work on explosive gasses and high voltage when you're drowsy. I' ve pulled a couple 15 hours days last summer, and that's enough. I don't mind working a lot, but those days are tiring. but to limit yourself to strictly 40 hours days, find a job with the school board or hospital or somewhere that you're on one location.

more importantly, be thankful. there are ppl that would take your hours in a heart beat. there are ppl that's almost laid off as it is a slow time.
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.
    ------------------------------------------------------

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Orange County, in a Galaxy far far away...
    Post Likes
    To the OP,
    Good to hear you're enjoying the trade, you obviously have a love and enthusiasm for it.
    80 hrs a week is a lot, that's 5 16 hour days (paid) or 6 13 n bit hours which honestly isn't too hard on the younger guys.
    It really depends what your doing though, 16hrs straight on a tandem compressor changeout, humping all equipment and parts up n down ladders and rooftops and I'm ready for a nap.
    80 hrs consistently is a little unusual for a/c on its own. Do you work in refrigeration aswell?

Anyways, enjoy the hours and soak up all the experience, there will be times when work is not so plentiful.

Post Likes
    I like 30- 60 hours a week. 30 pays the bills.60 gets me new tools and nice stuff.

Post Likes
    Just remember, "lunch is for wimps".

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by artman934 View Post
    Just remember, "lunch is for wimps".
    +1

Post Likes
    I agree with many of the posts in this thread- stay where you are, bank the bucks, and get all the experience that you can. Be thankful that you're working as many hours as you are. Where I am employed, some guys are being sent home with 13 hours for a whole week- senior guys! Other companies in our area are doing the same thing.
    See, the human mind is kind of like... a piñata. When it breaks open, there's a lot of surprises inside. Once you get the piñata perspective, you see that losing your mind can be a peak experience. ~Jane Wagner

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in