Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

80 hours a week?

I went to A/C crash course (2 weeks) a year and a half ago. After that I read the text book and every installation guide, youtube video and HVAC-talk forum I could. I am now working for the biggest HVAC company in the US. Or so they claim. Any guesses? Aside from all the safety rules and corporate BS I have to deal with it is the best job I have ever had. It is also a great place to learn because they do everything by the book. Micron guages, static pressures, subcool are things that were never mentioned at my last place of employment. However it is February and I currently work about 55 hours a week and in the summer we will be pushing 80 hours a week. Is it too much to ask to work for a company that says "go home" at 40 hours? I am all about the 40 hour work week and I absolutely hate working while I am tired. Overtime pay is nice but with me bieng a generation X brat I think we can all understand. I might have to go back to mom and pop and crawl under rusty trailer houses with Brown Recluse spiders and chiggers. Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by WMG View Post
    I went to A/C crash course (2 weeks) a year and a half ago. After that I read the text book and every installation guide, youtube video and HVAC-talk forum I could. I am now working for the biggest HVAC company in the US. Or so they claim. Any guesses? Aside from all the safety rules and corporate BS I have to deal with it is the best job I have ever had. It is also a great place to learn because they do everything by the book. Micron guages, static pressures, subcool are things that were never mentioned at my last place of employment. However it is February and I currently work about 55 hours a week and in the summer we will be pushing 80 hours a week. Is it too much to ask to work for a company that says "go home" at 40 hours? I am all about the 40 hour work week and I absolutely hate working while I am tired. Overtime pay is nice but with me bieng a generation X brat I think we can all understand. I might have to go back to mom and pop and crawl under rusty trailer houses with Brown Recluse spiders and chiggers. Thanks guys

Would love those hours.

I'd work the hours while your young. It's all great experience plus the $$ can't be bad. I know guys who are struggling for a 40 hour week. Bank the money and experiece. FITZ...
    Chaos equals cash$$$

80 hours a week?

Be happy you have work! Many companies out here send techs home in times (spring and fall) when it isn't busy.

This is not a 9-5 job.

Working a lot if hours during the busy season is part of the business. If you don't want to work overtime, sweat in the summer, freeze in winter, do physical labor....then find another profession because this one is not for you.

I love bieng on a roof when it is a hundred degrees outside if i have on my evaporative cooling towel. I love working in freezing weather if I have on a beanie and thermals and insulated boots and gloves. I love physical labor in moderation and I love the mechanical aptitude necessary in this trade! No where in the job description did it state an 80 hour work week!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    Be happy you have work! Many companies out here send techs home in times (spring and fall) when it isn't busy.

This is not a 9-5 job.

Working a lot if hours during the busy season is part of the business. If you don't want to work overtime, sweat in the summer, freeze in winter, do physical labor....then find another profession because this one is not for you.
    X2.. "IF it was easy, everyone would be doing it!" I love that quote. You have the ability to make a decent living in HVAC but need to work. If a company cant rely on you when the phone will not stop ringing I doubt you will be around very long.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Maybe the trade isn't the best for you. I guess it's inherent to want a 40 hour a week job, and have your evenings and weekends to yourself, but Bubba this ain't it! After being in this trade for the past 49 years, the one thing you have to put up with to be successful, is you gotta love the work. When I decided to try and retire, I started looking for a young guy that I could train to take my business over. What I found, was anyone that I interviewed that I thought was up to my standards of ability and knowledge, was also a hunter, fisherman, family man, little league coach, party animal, or just plain lazy. Wanted 40 hours a week, didn't wanna go on evening or weekend calls, and expected Journeyman's pay while being trained. So, now that I've been "retired" for 5 years, I'm still a solo operation, and still work 7 days a week, and will try to continue to do it this way until they find my body in my truck parked in a customer's driveway in the middle of the night. You have to have a mind set that your customers are important to you, and that you need to do what's required to keep them comfortable and keep their product warm, cold or whatever they need. Not saying you have to be married to the job, but at times it will sure feel like you are. Once you are well established in your position, then you can get away with taking time off, and the customer will actually wait for you to come fix their equipment. Sorry about the rant.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

I'll put the time in when I know our team can realy use the extra hand but would rather bank the hr's than get the pay. Time off is very important to me also.

Right, you cant beat the experience and Time and a 1/2 is really nice. And I learned the hard way I have a long way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by uniservice View Post
    Maybe the trade isn't the best for you. I guess it's inherent to want a 40 hour a week job, and have your evenings and weekends to yourself, but Bubba this ain't it! After being in this trade for the past 49 years, the one thing you have to put up with to be successful, is you gotta love the work. When I decided to try and retire, I started looking for a young guy that I could train to take my business over. What I found, was anyone that I interviewed that I thought was up to my standards of ability and knowledge, was also a hunter, fisherman, family man, little league coach, party animal, or just plain lazy. Wanted 40 hours a week, didn't wanna go on evening or weekend calls, and expected Journeyman's pay while being trained. So, now that I've been "retired" for 5 years, I'm still a solo operation, and still work 7 days a week, and will try to continue to do it this way until they find my body in my truck parked in a customer's driveway in the middle of the night. You have to have a mind set that your customers are important to you, and that you need to do what's required to keep them comfortable and keep their product warm, cold or whatever they need. Not saying you have to be married to the job, but at times it will sure feel like you are. Once you are well established in your position, then you can get away with taking te iime off, and the customer will actually wait for you to come fix their equipment. Sorry about the rant.
    This is the only job I have ever had besides working on a cattle ranch that I don't absolutely hate. And I have been a wandering drifter jobhopper for a long time. Controls are awesome and I wire them all day. At least residential thermostats, fresh air ventilation controllers, zone boards, hetc. I feel there are a million avenues to take in A/C.

I despise the 80 hour weeks.

I'm somewhat fortunate in that I've got a set 'route' or zone of accounts that are mine to manage as I see fit.

I've busted my butt to get those accounts into shape and KEEP them there.

I work 40-45 hours a week. 50 is a busy week as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, that is 40 hours, year-round, every week.

It's a good gig and I can't complain, but, IMO, there is NO NEED to work 80 hours except in the most dire of situations. If it becomes a habit, then you need more help.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

I'm somewhat fortunate in that I've got a set 'route' or zone of accounts that are mine to manage as I see fit.

It's a good gig and I can't complain, but, IMO, there is NO NEED to work 80 hours except in the most dire of situations. If it becomes a habit, then you need more help.
    Amen, 80 hrs a week seems crazy, 50 is even fine. If a few guys work 80 that's definitely Enuf work for an extra person. I work to live not live to work.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

They definetly need more help. The last company I worked for also could not find help. This is a great job.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast