Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Put ten people in front of me and if I had to hire one,, The one I will not pick is the one that has a perfect credit score. Especially if he has anything in common with me. I will be developing a Potential competetior. Just because they have no record of theft does not mean he dosn't steal. He might be good at it. So now he can steel my clients and get a loan for new vehicles insurance/advertising budget etc:

The one I would hire is the one with a newborn especially if he has risk of foreclosure. Reason is if that baby's smile or a foreclosure Bank letter dosnt motivate him do you think I can. I would fire him immediately if he acted like a slacker. Give someone a chance and pull him out of a bad time of his life and You have a Loyal employee.
    Customer is alWays opposite of Left

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    When you fill out a job application, do they get your credit score or your full credit history? Including what??
    Typically just the credit history is what matters. It generally doesn't hurt an applicants chances if they have a low score if it is due to not having any real credit history.
    If someone has public records of judgements against them, delinquencies, charge offs, etc., many employers will view them as someone who will potentially cause them more paperwork and hassle due to wage garnishments, creditors calling work looking for the person, etc..
    All on top of the other known general tenancies mentioned before.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Let's see here, you should not hire folks for several reasons apparently which have nothing to do with rather or not they can fix a heat pump, furnace or an AC.
    1. They are single
    2. They don't have a high school diploma.
    3. They have less than excellent credit in a bad economy.
    4. They have a bad driving record (one DUI would count).
    5. They are old.
    6. They appear smart and too honest and therefore more likely will fix the unit instead of telling the owner it needs to be replaced.

Reasons to hire:
    1. Can help fill your diversity requirements (approved minority, woman, etc.)
    2. A relative.
    3. They lack sufficient HVAC technical knowledge and training. Thus will work for a small commission and will say the unit can't be fixed and needs replacement.

I believe this covers most of the issues on hiring or not hiring by a lot of large residentual HVAC contractors I know of IMHO. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Let's see here, you should not hire folks for several reasons apparently which have nothing to do with rather or not they can fix a heat pump, an AC or a furnace.
    1. They are single
    2. They don't have a high school diploma.
    3. They have less than excellent credit in a bad economy.
    4. They have a bad driving record (one DUI would count).
    5. They are old.
    6. They appear smart and too honest and therefore more likely will fix the unit instead of telling the owner it needs to be replaced.

Reasons to hire:
    1. Can help fill your diversity requirements (approved minority, woman, etc.)
    2. A relative.
    3. They lack sufficient HVAC technical knowledge and training. Thus will work for a small commission and will say the unit can't be fixed and needs replacement.

I believe this covers most of the issues on hiring or not hiring by a lot of large residentual HVAC contractors I know of IMHO. Thank you, thank you very much
    Unfortunately thats probably a pretty accurate list. After all, its all about the bottom line.

IMHO... If you are an HVAC Technician who is a true "Badass" in the skilled trades department you can get a job in most of the country. Where I am the installers are undocumented immigrants who probably have not even a Greencard. They still make more than most of the service techs because they get paid by job.

I would agree that a DUI would be the "Kiss of death" to an HVAC Service technician driving a company vehicle. I am glad I quit drinking. I have worked at shops where the guys drink beer after work and then drive home. Stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by WMG View Post
    IMHO... If you are an HVAC Technician who is a true "Badass" in the skilled trades department you can get a job in most of the country. Where I am the installers are undocumented immigrants who probably have not even a Greencard. They still make more than most of the service techs because they get paid by job.
    Funny my post was about hiring and not hiring with a comment on some large residential HVAC contracting companies who replace units unnecessarily not about amigos installing replacement units in homes where it isn't required.

I have my own company and will fix a unit when it can be instead of replacing it at the drop of a hat and when it does need it I replace it with my crew. Installing a unit does not require the same skill set as a HVAC technician who can diagnose and fix the problem instead of saying it needs replacement by amigos. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Well this thread makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Currently fixing defaulted student loans and am single. I would have thought being single would have been an asset because all the married people I know use it as the reason they can't work overtime. The student loans are a result of my school failing to notify my lender that I was taking a break and me not figuring out what happened. Been fighting with them ever since. Well they will be off my report in 3 years and everything else on it is stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfshadow View Post
    Well this thread makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Currently fixing defaulted student loans and am single. I would have thought being single would have been an asset because all the married people I know use it as the reason they can't work overtime. The student loans are a result of my school failing to notify my lender that I was taking a break and me not figuring out what happened. Been fighting with them ever since. Well they will be off my report in 3 years and everything else on it is stellar.
    I'm with you on this elf. Being single or married, good credit or bad, "past" driving record, young or old, minority status, etc. should not factor in hiring. It should be based on your training, skills, character, etc.

Just like getting car insurance is also based on your credit record as much or more than you driving record what a joke and travesty. Thank you, thank you very much
    Barry Goldwater

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12