Hydronic heating system help.

I have a 25 year old BDP 517EN air handler with a hot water coil mounted above it. It is a multi-stage system. There is a circulating pump coming off the line from the water heater to supply the water and circulate it. With my system being 25 years old would it be smart to replace the water coil with a new unit? Would that help the efficiency? It seems as though the warmth of the air from the vents has deteriorated in the last year or so. Just trying to educate myself on this system before the contractor comes out to look at it. Thanks for any advice.Name:  Township 10 Lemley-20130216-00068.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  35.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A thorough cleaning of the a/c coil, blower, and water coil would likely restore the heat output.

Also the entering water temp or flow rate could have dropped causing lower leaving air temps.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    A thorough cleaning of the a/c coil, blower, and water coil would likely restore the heat output.

Also the entering water temp or flow rate could have dropped causing lower leaving air temps.
    Somewhat related, yesterday we had a tempstar nulk with a plugged solid secondary. Shop vaccumed, then used hot water with garden hose, rinsed clean for twenty minutes, customer said they never had heat like this before
    We are installing a new furnace next week

H2O coils last a LOOOOOOOOONG time, but they do plug up with dirt.
    the ductwork in your picture is OLD, and improperly sealed by today's standards. I can't tell from the pic, is the box under the airhandler insulated inside? that flex bending into the box is likely just a round collar cut into the box, and leaking around it.
    if it were me, I'd have a contractor out to pull the blower, cooling coil, and water coil and wash them all. then install a proper plenum with turning vanes or a radiused inside ell to connect the flex, and mastic seal all the seams.
    I bet you get better air than the system has EVER produced.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman