Cat IV Wall Termination

I'm a home inspector and have come across this and I don't like it.
    American Standard model # AL C1B060A9361AE, Yr. 2012

Cat IV, 60K, installed as a non-direct vent. I am looking for some real references as to why this setup is no good. I cannot find anything specific in the code books and I have yet to find the manufacturers installation instructions on this model. There are no nearby doors or windows to consider.

The vents are coming out a wall just above the deck so they cut a hole in the floor of the deck and built a box around it above.Name:  151deck box.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  73.4 KBName:  152.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  60.9 KBName:  under deck.JPG
Views: 161
Size:  64.1 KB

Right now, I have recommended improvements in this termination on the grounds that the corrosive effects of the condensate in this confined space are going to eventually destroy everything that comes in contact with it, and in very cold weather there's going to be some serious frost problems.

Thread relocated to "Tech to Tech"

Not sure about the codes there, but here that would never pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    Thread relocated to "Tech to Tech"

Not sure about the codes there, but here that would never pass.
    Besides corrosion issues, what references can you cite that would not allow this to pass? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lamb View Post
    Besides corrosion issues, what references can you cite that would not allow this to pass? Thanks.
    You may find your answer in the National Fuel Gas Code book. Look under venting.

This is not for an American Standard unit but is for a 90+ gas furnace. Check page 23, letter "M".
    http://www.rheem.com/documents/rgrm-...n-instructions

Edit: are both pipes pictured exhaust pipes? If so what is the other appliance?

Hrmm.
    You might have trouble finding an actual code that will condemn that kind of stupidity.
    I know our code says the deck must be open on 2 sides for an under-deck termination.
    Clearly there aren't 2 open sides there.
    If you open the install manual for that furnace, the pictures of possible terminations clearly show an open area around the pipes.

Or you could call trane/American standard. Maybe they'll void warranty if its not fixed!

I forgot to add, I'm sure the manual also states those screens in the pipe are a no-go

As said we follow National Fuel Gas and our own "Local" codes WSSC. Our local codes are more stringent then National Fuel Gas, your local codes I am unaware of, but I would be surprised "if" they allowed this or the manufacture which often trumps all.

An American Standard tech sent me the pdf. for what he thought was the correct installation instructions. I guess I had the model # wrong. The instructions are vague.

The Rheem pdf from Mason is far clearer than the A.S. on this subject.

5. 6 feet from an inside corner formed by two exterior walls – 10 feet is the recommended distance.

1. Do not terminate under any kind of patio or deck.

The other vent exiting is to a water heater.

An American Standard tech sent me the pdf. for what he thought was the correct installation instructions. I guess I had the model # wrong. The instructions are vague.

The Rheem pdf from Mason is far clearer than the A.S. on this subject.

5. 6 feet from an inside corner formed by two exterior walls – 10 feet is the recommended distance.

1. Do not terminate under any kind of patio or deck.

The other vent exiting is to a water heater.
    Well, there you go.
    Now what?

around here they make us put in the screens because of squirrels getting into the inducer and then they die in there,,,,very icky
    Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    I forgot to add, I'm sure the manual also states those screens in the pipe are a no-go

Quote Originally Posted by davidj001 View Post
    around here they make us put in the screens because of squirrels getting into the inducer and then they die in there,,,,very icky
    Condensate will form in drops on the screen and freeze if it gets below freezing in your climate.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2