I recently purchased my first home and I'm renting out my second bedroom. There are back-to-back 16"x8" transfer grilles above both bedroom doors which allow for a lot of sound transfer and cause a lack of privacy for both me and the roommate.

I came across "sound attenuated transfer grilles" but I'm seeing mostly commercial products. The few suitable products I did find don't look like they'll fit. There is a stud square in the middle of each of the grilles so anything with any thickness that has to protrude into the wall likely won't fit.

My question: Is there an easier solution that I'm unaware of? If not, can one of you pros recommend a sound attenuated transfer grille that would be appropriate for my application?

Any help is greatly appreciated!