Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by staze View Post
    I have a 2.5ton, so reciprocating. Got it.

Thanks!

Ryan, does his explanation seem reasonable?
    See Brent's response above as to checking charge during winter. If he confirmed the filter-driers had no blockages and ensured everything else was normal (hopefully using the chart -- and you still have heat -- I think you're in good shape.

Finally someone mentioned it..the temperature right now is way to cold to properly check a system.

Like Brent said, it needs to be at least 55+ out to use SH and SC

There is a chart for checking a HP in the heat mode but those are really just general guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyBeer View Post
    Finally someone mentioned it..the temperature right now is way to cold to properly check a system.

Like Brent said, it needs to be at least 55+ out to use SH and SC

There is a chart for checking a HP in the heat mode but those are really just general guidelines
    Yup, that's pretty much what he said. Think it was 48F or so out when he checked, and again, it was in heat mode. Everything seemed perfectly fine to him, and he lamented the fact he's been telling people for years that you can't go by Subcool when the system is in heat mode. Though I think he did say if it was REALLY low, or REALLY high, that could mean something (sounded like if it was REALLY low, like, 4, it could prevent the TVX from functioning, but that could just be what I heard, and not what he meant).

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm just glad it's all clear, and like good peeps, I didn't get charged since nothing was wrong. =D

And lol, page two: http://www.bayareaservice.com/wp-con...vice-Facts.pdf

He did say he's seen systems where the install happens in the winter, and some noob installer uses subcool to gauge charge, and ends up WAY overcharging the system to get to the 10F number... if the customer was lucky, he just ends up draining some come summer, if they're unlucky, it's a compressor swap. =/

BTW, this Service Facts is extremely useful. Awesome to know what they're called so I could look them up. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    See Brent's response above as to checking charge during winter. If he confirmed the filter-driers had no blockages and ensured everything else was normal (hopefully using the chart -- and you still have heat -- I think you're in good shape.
    Yup. And best of all, he had no problem with me watching over his shoulder and asking questions, chatting, etc. Can't say I've ever had a problem with a contractor or inspector that's been open about what they're doing, and why they're doing it. That's why this site is so useful as well. =)

He also seemed to confirm that the foreman that was out, supervising, on the service call that originally said there was an issue was not the most reliable when it came to stuff like this. =P Maybe they just got back from the southern hemisphere, and forgot what season it was. =P

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123