Thread: Will ZC help me

Post Likes

Will ZC help me

So quick recap of the situation, I have a Trane XE80 in my attic 3ton cooling unit. Live in a 2 story house 1750 sq foot in GA, so winters can be cold, and summers very hot. 2 returns upstairs and downstairs. The thermostat is in the middle of the stair well between the 2 returns.

My dad was able to tell me that I could adjust the blower speed so I set now heat to high and cool to med-high (reversed what it was). However, he disagreed against doing a zone control. I figured if I created two zones upstairs / downstairs with thermostats it would greatly help the comfort of the house rather than upstairs an inferno while downstairs is cold (at least right now). His point was that really a HVAC "sucks" the air from the registers to the returns. And by zoning it I would greatly hurt my efficiency / air flow.

What are your thoughts? I planned on using HZ311k (3 zoner) and then put in 5 dampers (1 for downstairs, 3 for upstairs, 1 for the master) to have 3 zones. I appreciate your advice or suggestions!

--Erik

Post Likes
    zone controled units are great if properly installed and set up

Post Likes
    Are you planning on attempting this yourself? Or are you hiring somebody to professionally engineer the thing? No offense, if you are planning on this being a DIY project, it isn't gonna work. Hell, half the hvac companies that attempt it would screw it up. So be very careful who you hire. That's a lot of zones, 3 of them being small zones, tricky to do. Go Carrier Infinity zoning and equipment, it idiot proofs the process to a point.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    Are you planning on attempting this yourself? Or are you hiring somebody to professionally engineer the thing? No offense, if you are planning on this being a DIY project, it isn't gonna work. Hell, half the hvac companies that attempt it would screw it up. So be very careful who you hire. That's a lot of zones, 3 of them being small zones, tricky to do. Go Carrier Infinity zoning and equipment, it idiot proofs the process to a point.
    It would be DIY, however, I'm thinking that I would have to redo my plenum to really do it correctly also and build in a static pressure return / change it to 3 trunks rather than the setup it is now. How is the Infinity any different than the Honeywell? And the screw it up is why I'd rather do it myself, my dad was a GC for 30yrs+ and I tend to trust his opinion instead of some snake oil salesman who can sell me the world and a nice pricetag. The ZC setup I spec'ed would only cost around $$$ bucks and a few hours of time, which I think was worth a shot.

Pricing isn't allowed
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 02-16-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by erikbgt05 View Post
    ?..... The ZC setup I spec'ed would only cost around $$$ bucks and a few hours of time, which I think was worth a shot.
    If that is what you think it will take, it will never work. As already stated, retrofitting a zone system is difficult for experienced contractors. It will not work if you do not understand the thermodynamic principals of system design. And the statement above shows you do not.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 02-16-2013 at 11:30 AM. Reason: price in quote
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by erikbgt05 View Post
    It would be DIY, however, I'm thinking that I would have to redo my plenum to really do it correctly also and build in a static pressure return / change it to 3 trunks rather than the setup it is now. How is the Infinity any different than the Honeywell? And the screw it up is why I'd rather do it myself, my dad was a GC for 30yrs+ and I tend to trust his opinion instead of some snake oil salesman who can sell me the world and a nice pricetag. The ZC setup I spec'ed would only cost around $$$ bucks and a few hours of time, which I think was worth a shot.
    DIY is a very bad idea with this setup.

It's not as simple as adding in a few dampers. You need to make sure every zone has the correct CFM with as minimal static pressure as possible.

This will take performing a full manual D duct design.

I really suggest hiring a professional for this.

Just remember, improper airflow can lead to compressor failure along with a whole slew of other issues.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 02-16-2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: price in quote

Post Likes
    Well to those who didn't ask I'm actually almost a PE, so I do have some pretty in depth thermodynamics understanding (thanks for assuming!), but I was going to let my MPE friend actually help spec out the airflow since that's more on his side of the house what he does (commercial and he has that manual D tool). I'm trying to do my research first before getting into it, since again regardless my guesstimates with initial figures it will be around $$$ bucks of parts and just time using modulating dampers to control the CFM / pressure based on the numbers we come up with.

Pricing isn't allowed
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 02-16-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    ...? that's my line!

OP this is very much a no diy site,
    even for actually almost PE's.

bmatthew's is 100% correct, zoinig is
    for trained, experienced hvac pros.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in