Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    Don't forget to register your unit with Trane or your warranty will be cut in half. On the other hand if you do and a qualified contractor didn't do the install you may find yourself with no parts or compressor warranty at all!
    If a licensed a contractor does not do the install, all warranty is void.

the fun quickly goes away when your changing a blower motor in a 150 degree attic ar you have to kick the snakes out of the way to repair a furnace in a crawl space .
    We really need change now

buildingresults,
    ask yourself if you can deal with extreme temps & not step thru
    ceilings before getting into this business.

I went to high school with a guy who got into hvac cause
    he thought he would always be in a cool place.
    LOL!
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

You'll likely get hammered on the DIY thing. Its your house, your equipment, you can do as you wish with your stuff. If you burn down your house or hurt yourself or family, that's your business. I just want to know how it all turns out.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

I have no problem at all with DIY..... problem is they ask for help....lol
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Quote Originally Posted by carmon View Post
    I have no problem at all with DIY..... problem is they ask for help....lol
    I won't help them. They can pay me to fix their mess though.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    I won't help them. They can pay me to fix their mess though.

ya ...happens a lot...... hope they don't get hurt......
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    You'll likely get hammered on the DIY thing. Its your house, your equipment, you can do as you wish with your stuff. If you burn down your house or hurt yourself or family, that's your business. I just want to know how it all turns out.
    I think it's okay for me to post this question here because it doesn't necessarily have to be a DIY project, i'm only asking about the installation manuals and how to find them. In theory, I could be looking for the manuals to give them to the new contractor so they could have the correct information.

But I totally agree with you guys....I don't think it's smart to take a huge risk for a few thousand dollars...unless the person has a proven track record of success with similar types of projects involving similar skillsets.

Thank you again for all the great advice...The internet once again has helped me tremendously...the power of social media!

have you located the rating plates with serial numbers on each piece of equipment? How many pieces of equipment are missing the manuals?

Quote Originally Posted by buildingresults View Post
    thank you catmanacman!

This forum actually encourages me to try to get into the business. I actually find it very satisfying to play around with AC systems....not sure why, but the mix of design, mechanical, and helping people stay comfortable is very appealing to me. I don't know what it's like from a business standpoint...but I know that it's pretty fun, especially when you get good results!
    It's great on the buisiness side until you run into people who think The technician is an idiot and they know more than he does becaus e they researched it on the internet.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12