Smile Need help/input on Trane XL15i vs XL16i Heat pump

Hi, I'm in final stages of building a new home and finally got the builder and his HVAC contractor to agree to upgrading my HVAC system (base unit trane builder grade AC 13 seer, and Trane XL90 gas unit - no heat pump) to include heat pump and higher efficient units (all energy star).

So now I need to make my decision quickly between two final components (the heat pump model). I'm debating between the XL15i and the XL16i.

Can any of you provide some input and feedback on either of these models and recommend which model to go with. I think the one major difference is that the XL16i is dual stage (whatever that means).

Here's the other components that will be consistent:

I will be maintaining the gas as the aux heat fuel, but will be upgrade to the XV90 (variable speed) model instead of the XL90.

Any feedback will be helpful.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gerryh31 View Post
    Can any of you provide some input and feedback on either of these models and recommend which model to go with. I think the one major difference is that the XL16i is dual stage (whatever that means). Any feedback will be helpful.
    2-stage will handle part load conditions better. And part load conditions exist for > > 50% of the itme.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

If your in an area that has high humidity, the 16i will be well worth the extra over the 15i.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thank Dan and Beenthere. Do either of you have any experience or info on problem freq/history of the two? Is the 16i more prone to problems?

Thanks

When the 16i first came out, it had some problems with defrost.

Trane has that taken care of now.
    Contractor locator map

The 16i will also work a lot better with a zoning system if you want to split your home into separately conditioned spaces.
    Luke 6:31

Count the GURU on the 2 stage XL 16i,sounds like your staying and doing it right.you will not be sorry!!!
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Thanks everyone, I had to let the builder know today my final decision. I told them to go with the XL16i with the variable speed gas furnance blower.

One last question for everyone, while reviewing the specs and the pricing with the HVAC sub, although I told him to specs all of the units with R410A, the quoted 15i was using R22 but the 16i was for R410A. He said the 16i was only came in 410A the 15i had an option for 410A. Bottom line, when he gave me the price for the 15i with 410A the cost was more than the 16i which was already with 410A. Although the decision was made in favor of the 16i, does it makes sense that the 15i would be more expensive once the 410A was added?

It does sound strange.
    But, it could be a cost of production line change over, that the factory passes to the contractor, who must pass it to you.
    Contractor locator map