Thread: Help! - LRA

Post Likes

Help! - LRA

Hello guys,

I have a 40 ton Trane liquid cooled scroll chiller with 4 compressors all of them locked up. Some Co. was on site before and the did a "start up" with the system with no water (by-passed flow switches) low to nothing of oil (think systems leaked trough winter or who knows. One circuit was kinda working when I got here, the system had no oil so I added oil and adjusted the charge. It worked fine for about 5 days but got a call back that the chiller wasn't working and found out the 2 compressors also locked up.
    Is there a way that someone knows to unstuck the compressors besides reversing the 2 lines?
    Also any idea on what the hell happened here that's causing all compressors to lock ?

Thanks!!

Post Likes
    Sounds to me like the compressors may have been operated without the electrical phasing being verified . All compressors need to be replaced and electrical phasing verified PRIOR to start-up .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CHILLERSVCMAN View Post
    Sounds to me like the compressors may have been operated without the electrical phasing being verified . All compressors need to be replaced and electrical phasing verified PRIOR to start-up .
    X2. The damage has already been done. You'll do the customer a favor by replacing them now, before any more damage/service calls. No one wants a problem child unit. Replace them, do a proper startup and relax that you won't be going back for nuisance trips.
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    X3. Better get it done quick, the Arizona heat is coming. Suppose to hit 100 next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RTFM!!!

Post Likes
    I hear you guys, feel bad for this customer though... Guess is the price to pay for being cheap.

6. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post
    Post Likes
    Go over it with a fine tooth comb. Note any and every issue you may find related to the failure or not. If the customer is pissed, then they have some concrete evidence to go back to the previous contractor. This may help if they are looking to go after them for funds towards the repair. Hate to do that, but you'll have a happier customer. The other guys didn't do anyone a favor.
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

8. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post