confusion in single effect & single stage Chillers in absorption technologies

Confused confusion in single effect & single stage Chillers in absorption technologies

Dear All,

I am studying different types of chillers to, to make good understanding of them.
    but i am very confused with these two different terminologies.
    Can any one explain which term is used for which purpose or they both are same?

Further more i have read about Half Effect chiller, but cant find any manufacturer's catalog of half effect absorption chiller

A single effect effect absorption chiller utilizes hot water or steam as its heat source. A single stage absorption chiller is direct fired usually using a natural gas burner to heat the LiBr solution. They can also use fuel oil in lieu of natural gas.

This study paper explains the half effect absorption cycle.

Thank u both v.Much

Single effect equals single stage, no matter what the heat source. Double effect equals two stage, no matter what the heat source. Diff. manufacturers use diff. terminology, I think sometimes to confuse us.

Quote Originally Posted by cperk View Post
    Single effect equals single stage, no matter what the heat source. Double effect equals two stage, no matter what the heat source. Diff. manufacturers use diff. terminology, I think sometimes to confuse us.
    Or perhaps a manufacturer differentiates so as not to confuse. As long as I can remember York used the terminology single effect. When the direct fired absorbers came along they were called "stage". If someone said "single stage" it was known that it was direct fired. Although they do the same thing the two are different animals.

Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    Or perhaps a manufacturer differentiates so as not to confuse. As long as I can remember York used the terminology single effect. When the direct fired absorbers came along they were called "stage". If someone said "single stage" it was known that it was direct fired. Although they do the same thing the two are different animals.
    Trane calls their steam machines single stage and two stage. Thermax calls their steam machines single effect and double effect.

YORK... Single Stage is the YIA steam or hot water
    Two Stage = Paraflow or the old Hitachi's