Post Likes

Times are a changing, sadly!

I stopped by 2 of my old accounts last week that I used to take care of , small Trane chillers. I opened the gate as the guy wasn't around and there was LG VRF junk where the chiller was. I closed the gate and drove away, pretty much same thing at other job. I can only hope that this is a passing fad and disappears, I know we have to adapt, but this is one place where I will not.
    Federal Reserve, stealing your kids futures since 1913

UA290

2. Likes stanbyyourword liked this post
    Post Likes
    LG makes chillers, who knew? I know we had a lot of issues with there resi frigerators. Very complicated piece of equipment for a fridge. Had inverter board for compressor and two evap coils with a solenoid, once labor warranty is gone no-one could afford th fix these things.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    LG makes chillers, who knew?
    I think he might have meant the chillers were replaced with a VRF system.

5. Likes Nuclrchiller, buttwheat liked this post
    Post Likes
    Around here, water cooled chillers are losing out to air cooled chillers.

The local Trane office has undergone a significant amount of turnover in new equipment sales engineers, I believe due solely to retirement. Trane centrifugal sales appear to have plummeted since I left almost 8 years ago.

Sad times indeed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acjourneyman View Post
    I stopped by 2 of my old accounts last week that I used to take care of , small Trane chillers. I opened the gate as the guy wasn't around and there was LG VRF junk where the chiller was. I closed the gate and drove away, pretty much same thing at other job. I can only hope that this is a passing fad and disappears, I know we have to adapt, but this is one place where I will not.
    Totally agree
    Keep it simple to keep it cool!

Post Likes

Post Likes
    he says VRF , was put in

Post Likes
    Vrf systems are everywhere now. Where a renovation or commercial building is being built. It's a huge market and not going anywhere. The vrf startup,commission mechanics are and will be in need like the chiller mechanics of the past. The info, software and technical know how is not as easy to acquire, just as the chiller mfgs have/had the market share of "their" work for a long time now.
    Chaos equals cash$$$

Post Likes
    As an old school chiller engineer I would whole heartedly agree. I can't see the point of having more charge than some chillers, run for miles through a building, especially when using stupidly high pressure refrigerants !!
    On the other hand, as an 'engineer' I am fascinated by the technology that allows the 'rule book' to have been thrown away !
    Chillers are relatively easy when compared to 'stumbling' around a load of pcbs not knowing why valves are opening or things are not working as you think they should and then talking to a help-desk operative, who, quite frankly, has less of a clue than you do !!
    There will always be an application for chillers and VRV/F will probably never go away. The technology trickle down may make the chiller engineers life easier, but who knows ?
    In the end, we knows what we knows !!

Post Likes
    VRF systems can compete with 500+ ton centrifugals in kw/ton?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Way, way back, like in '93 or so we put in some of the multi indoor unit heat pump systems with a single condensing unit. Had to have special training, etc. Think the first one was a 4 indoor coil with single outdoor unit. Granted we didn't have inverter technology or wireless stuff. BUT what a nightmare with all the refrigerant lines and leaks and board failures and coil leak and.... That thing lasted about 3 years and finally was ripped out, thrown in the dumpster and replaced with conventional units. I have not done much studying on these VRF systems YET other that knowing the efficiencies are way up due to inverter technology on the compressors, fans and ability to heat/cool simultaneously. Time will tell. If the stuff can hold up and be reliable and not piss owners/operators/service folks off then well maybe its a threat to the chiller/boiler type system. I do know of one VRF system that has been a nightmare so far.
    Superheat, that must be REALLY hot.

Post Likes
    ive seen loads of customers go though ciller to vrf and back to chiller , do the math , vrf application has its place but its very small.