Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    cout out hig oil temp 193f!

check the oil temperature sensor is giving the correct temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by servicetrane View Post
    cout out hig oil temp 193f!

check the oil temperature sensor is giving the correct temperature.
    that is kind of where i was going but i didn't state it very well (or at all). in some models, the oil temperature sensor is after the oil cooler and in some models, the oil temperature sensor is in the oil separator.
    my 1st time jumping out of a plane...http://youtu.be/Kv38G0MHsGo

Guys, is the oil heater in the oil separator large enough to overcome the cooler, if it was stuck on? I wouldn't expect it to be that big, but would check that it's off while the chiller's running, just to be sure. Right after checking the sensor, as suggested.

dumb me have not checked oil heater sticking. will do. have checked sensor with contact probes and temp sensor is within a couple degrees on microprocessor. i have to leave this chiller for a few days as we had power outage and took out few other units. have this one working for now by blocking slide valve to stop at 30% and unload no lower. unit is auto-restarting on water temp and we are going with this for a few days. running like this oil temp is staying 110 to 118 degrees. must have enough cooling on discharge to keep temp down?. will be back. GLAD for all input. have had to do some creative(to me) programming to get this to run in this way. it is cooling well like this but not correctly as far as unloading and idling. will be back with better numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    Guys, is the oil heater in the oil separator large enough to overcome the cooler, if it was stuck on? I wouldn't expect it to be that big, but would check that it's off while the chiller's running, just to be sure. Right after checking the sensor, as suggested.
    I can't think of a scenario where it would be "stuck" on. When the chiller gets a run signal the 1R-2 contacts open removing power from the oil heater circuit.

If I were to take a SWAG at your problem I would guess that at light loads your tower water temperature is too low and the differential pressure isn't great enough to feed enough refrigerant to the oil cooler. I've seen similar situations in other York chillers that use the refrigerant fed P&F oil coolers.

the oil heater is only 500 watts. even if it was stuck on, i am pretty sure the compressor refrigerant flow rates would overcome the heater.

Heh heh, man we really need a "blushing" smiley face available on this site. That or a much longer timeout on the edit button....

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    Heh heh, man we really need a "blushing" smiley face available on this site. That or a much longer timeout on the edit button....
    i second your emotion!

Sounds like a YS not YCAS chiller? If it is indeed a YS, you got to modify the h%$l out of it to make it run low temperature with any reliabilty. We install a HGBP to keep flow up during low loads, liquid inject to keep discharge/oil temp down. But the one mod you better do asap is cut liquid line and install inverted trap as high as the condenser shell. This will prevent liquid from backing into subcooler and freezing tubes when chiller is shutdown with liquid temp below freezing.
    A LITTLE BIT OF STUPID GOES A LONG WAY!

as i have not been able to get readings on chiller at different loads i went ahead and changed programming to let system idle and not cycle on temp. the unit has run for ONE day. i know it will see me again. thanks for all input. i will post numbers if i can ever get. i will try to learn more and post more info that will let you see more and get better idea what is going on. thanks again. as sargent york stated we need to modify. thanks again everyone

Another good thread!!

I am learning everyday also Guess1956
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

ok now i know difference between YS and YCAS machine i have YS as on site machine and never bothered with model number because never had to. have a YCAS rental on site and had rental company come to repair. we are not susposed to touch the rentals.
    my YS has not givin me one bit of trouble since adjusting hot gas bypass and giving a (false) load condition. no going down on high oil pressure and is idilng just fine, not cycling on temp and wearing out motor and contactor.

thanks everyone for listening to a poor little ole south arkansas boy and helping. will know next time to gather more and best info i can.

i meant going down on high oil temp. too early in morn when posted last after long day and nite working. a 20 hr day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast