Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

McQuay WMC290DSC - Compressor Shot

I am new to this forum and hope that I can get some good feedback.

I work for a GC and was recently advised that the compressor on one of the chillers we installed and started up in 4/2012 is shot. This seems rather odd that a compressor would go bad in such a short period of time. Here are some of the facts regarding installation and start-up (all performed by McQuay techs):

[Initial Start-up postponed due to chiller issues – loose bolts, gaskets, water leaking from chiller (not piping connection to the chiller). Makes me question if chillers were factory tested.

2nd start-up attempt 4/11/2012 – issues with chiller 3 not starting – compressor would go out on fault

Functional Performance Testing 8/17/2012 – hiller would not start; manufacturer’s rep believes compressor control boards were bad. Boards were replaced.

Could any of the scenarios above indicate a bad compressor?

Should the compressor go bad this quickly?

How much will it cost to replace the compressor?

I'm a little stuck since the McQuay warranty is up and I'm still under my one year warranty with the Owner.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

These are Turbocor compressors manufactured by Danfoss Turbocor. My experience has been that the McQuay factory guys have little training on these compressors. I would recommend trying to find a technician in your area who is trained on Turbocor compressors. Fortunately in our area we have two guys who work for other manufacturers that utilize the Turbocor compressor who are eminently qualified to work on Turbocor. They always seem to get to the bottom of the problem.

Thanks. Any guidance on where to look for one these guys?

Quote Originally Posted by GCPM View Post
    Thanks. Any guidance on where to look for one these guys?
    In our area the two guys we call are the Multistack and Smardt reps. Both of them have clearly demonstrated that they are better trained on the Turbocor compressor. What area of the country are you in?

Richmond, VA.

I'm working on this. I've emailed a contractor I know in your area. Please update your profile with an email address so I can forward info to you as it comes available. Do not post your email address in the thread. The mods take a dim view of that.

It's hard to believe a chiller with such a short warranty.
    Trying not to be a Hack.

KnewYork - e-mail address added. Thanks for your help.

toocool - there were extenuating circumstances that delayed the project after the chillers were delivered and installed. They have only been through 2 cooling seasons; however.

Quote Originally Posted by GCPM View Post
    KnewYork - e-mail address added. Thanks for your help.

toocool - there were extenuating circumstances that delayed the project after the chillers were delivered and installed. They have only been through 2 cooling seasons; however.
    AHH, understood. I don't know if Mcquay has extended warranties and it's water under the bridge but it's always a good idea when dealing with big bucks.
    Trying not to be a Hack.

The manufacturer I worked for changed warranty policies back and forth, but when I left the warranty was 18 months from the date the chiller shipped from the factory. If it was a replacement the customer ended up with more than a one year warranty. If it went in early in a construction project it could almost be out of warranty by the time it was started up. The company offered extended warranties at the time of purchase. And they weren't that expensive.

So I just found out that one of the techs, when the compressor was found to be inoperable, said that it's possible the compressor never worked. Is there a way to tell if it was never operational? My guess is that in a dual-compressor setting the second compressor only comes on when there is sufficient load???

One would assume that all circuits would have been checked at start up.
    Trying not to be a Hack.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    One would assume that all circuits would have been checked at start up.
    yep. of course, assumptions don't pay the lawyers. start up paperwork is very important. get that paperwork at the time of start up! if you have it and it says that it worked, then whether it did or didn't, is irrelevant. if it doesn't specifically state that it works or has a bunch of technical data (pressures, temperatures, amps, etc) then MAYBE you have a case. but with this much time passed, you still may be SOL.

stuff happens. should it have lasted longer than this? yes. stuff happens. do they normally last much longer than this? yes....but stuff happens. ALWAYS get an extended warranty longer than YOUR warranty to the owner because stuff happens.
    It's tube brushing season...93% done (39.35 miles of tubing)...only 1,242 tubes to go!

Original member of the Raccoon Brotherhood.

EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast