Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Check the run cap.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I can't believe you replaced the compressor. Check for short cycling. Replace the POT relay and start capacitor and add a bleed resistor. Also check your run capacitor.

The equalizer line on a TXV is not to equalize pressure during shutoff

@Gravity. Are you talking to me? The compressor ohms out bad and is under warranty. It also pulled higher than expected amps when running. The run cap is fine. Why wouldn't I swap the compressor? I have already replaced the POT relay and start capacitor. Are you saying I should do that again? Also, why are you talking about the external equalizer line and what about short cycling?

As a note:I was replacing the failing start caps with off the shelf caps that didn't have bleed resistors. I ordered the factory replacement cap with bleed resistor and replaced it, along with the contactor, late last week. I plan on returning late this week to see if there are any changes.

Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    The equalizer line on a TXV is not to equalize pressure during shutoff
    I know that, it was late I guess and wasn't thinking clearly. I just read the post and thought the same thing then realized I wrote it. Lol

What about the crankcase Heater? is it wired correctly line voltage, Voltage drops. Potential relay upside down. But the resister on all start caps with potential relays.
    Did the compressor fail or did you jump the gun and blame the compressor as the source of the problem? not condemning just asking?
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by jbaur View Post
    @Gravity. Are you talking to me? The compressor ohms out bad and is under warranty. It also pulled higher than expected amps when running. The run cap is fine. Why wouldn't I swap the compressor? I have already replaced the POT relay and start capacitor. Are you saying I should do that again? Also, why are you talking about the external equalizer line and what about short cycling?

As a note:I was replacing the failing start caps with off the shelf caps that didn't have bleed resistors. I ordered the factory replacement cap with bleed resistor and replaced it, along with the contactor, late last week. I plan on returning late this week to see if there are any changes.
    Ohm readings didn't look bad. You said you assumed a start/run short.
    You never told us in your first post that it over amped.

I don't think there was anything wrong with first compressor. That is just my opinion. I certainly am not a fan of changing good compressors.

Quote Originally Posted by jbaur View Post
    A helpful bit of info - some supply houses have bleed resistors with double terminals on them, so you can install them on any cap and use the double terminals to install the wiring...and make them into real start caps, thus avoiding the issue you seemed to be having. Remember what I wrote about that start resistor fooling your meter. It will read SIGNIFICANTLY off with the resistor in place, as long as it is reading the same 'wrong' reading before and after you should be good.

FYI .... resistors protect the points inside of Pot relays , and start relays. It stops them from arcing , which causes them to burn up / stick closed.

In Conclusion:

Firstly. Thank you to all who helped me with this.

Secondly. The system has been running great for two months now.

I ordered the proper start cap with a bleed resistor and the unit has been running great from then on. Gravity was probably right that I did not need to replace the compressor. Strange how I've been in this trade for about 5 years now and have not had to really research the purpose of the bleed resistor until now. (As an aside, my second year instructor told me that the bleed resistor was to protect the tech from electrocution. Dumb-ass).
    The saving grace was that this was on my mother in law's system and so I didn't have to look too stupid in front of a paying customer.

Thanks again guys!

Josh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12