Thread: My Cigar Room

My Cigar Room

I'm finishing a 1500 sq ft basement, with a 20x20x8 room for "man cave" cigar smoking. Ryan Deyer built a cigar room with all the detials on his site, we smokers use this as a blue print for our projects.
    Queestion:
    I'm using an inline exhaust fan Broan 1200 cfm, I'm thinkg of two alternatives maybe three: 1) add fresh air intakes with heated ducts 2) add HRV or 3) fresh air intakes and a mini split.

With 1) what happens in the summer, I don't want hot fresh air. With 2) what size 3) is this practical

Quote Originally Posted by deemancpa View Post
    I'm finishing a 1500 sq ft basement, with a 20x20x8 room for "man cave" cigar smoking. Ryan Deyer built a cigar room with all the detials on his site, we smokers use this as a blue print for our projects.
    Queestion:
    I'm using an inline exhaust fan Broan 1200 cfm, I'm thinkg of two alternatives maybe three: 1) add fresh air intakes with heated ducts 2) add HRV or 3) fresh air intakes and a mini split.

With 1) what happens in the summer, I don't want hot fresh air. With 2) what size 3) is this practical
    This is over kill. Exhausting 1200 cfm will backdraft any open combustion device in the home even if you have fresh air intakes. Also theres the problem with heating/ cooling/humidifying/dehumidifying.
    Critical issues are enough negative pressure to contain the smoke in the area where smoke in taking place. An exhaust rate from the center of the activity that change the air in the room in a hour should be plenty. Extending the exhaust time for a couple hours after the activity should be enough to clear the space. How big is the space? Keep it small. 800 X 9 =7200 FT^3. 120 cfm of exhaust would handle this space. 200 cfm to be safe. During the mild times of the year with outside dew points +60^F, you will need some supplemental dehumidification to avoid mold.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    This is over kill. Exhausting 1200 cfm will backdraft any open combustion device in the home even if you have fresh air intakes. Also theres the problem with heating/ cooling/humidifying/dehumidifying.
    Critical issues are enough negative pressure to contain the smoke in the area where smoke in taking place. An exhaust rate from the center of the activity that change the air in the room in a hour should be plenty. Extending the exhaust time for a couple hours after the activity should be enough to clear the space. How big is the space? Keep it small. 800 X 9 =7200 FT^3. 120 cfm of exhaust would handle this space. 200 cfm to be safe. During the mild times of the year with outside dew points +60^F, you will need some supplemental dehumidification to avoid mold.
    Regards TB
    The fan is going to be on a variable speed switch. The room is 20 x 20. HVAC guy said no fresh air inlets are needed....place two 8x 12 registers in the room to draw air from other parts while the exhaust fan is on..close the registers afterwards..also said no smoke will enter the rest of the house or through the house vents...this is counterintuitive.