Thread: Rusted Evaporators

Post Likes

Rusted Evaporators

The four HVAC units pictured are 9.5 year old Trane TUE100A948L with rusted evaporators. I have been told the entire furnace needs to be replaced. I am asking, is it typical to last only 9.5 years; I did have a twice-yearly Preventive Maintenance program for the entire 9.5 years; should I get another Brand? The original company is out of business and the HVAC Co that provided Preventive Maintenance reps Honeywell.
    The TRANE Condensers are fine, but use R22 which the HVAC Co told me is no longer available. A metering device for R22 vs R410A is available, but was told it’s not worth the hassle. It was replaced by R410A refrigerant, how long will R410A be available? Should I try to use the HVACs until they break down, I live in Texas?
    All advice/comments will be appreciated.

Name:  2012-12-11#1.JPG
Views: 956
Size:  18.6 KB
    Name:  2012-12-11#2.JPG
Views: 943
Size:  13.4 KB
    Name:  2012-12-11#3.JPG
Views: 935
Size:  19.6 KB
    Name:  2012-12-11#4.JPG
Views: 943
Size:  19.9 KB

Post Likes
    Is it leaking r22 (freon)?

Post Likes
    They all rust.
    Is it leaking refrigerant?
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    R22 is still available.

The rust is only on the tube sheet. If the systems aren't leaking. Keep using them. That rust is not a reason to change out a system.

Post Likes
    If they are not leaking refrigerant, don't worry about it, there isn't anything unusual about the amount of rust on those coils.

Newer Trane coils, as well as some other brands, are all aluminum, so there will be no issues with rust if/when you replace them.

Post Likes
    Thanks for your responses, you taught me what I needed to know.
    FYI: The units are Not leaking.

Post Likes
    Did the contractor tell you that it should be replaced because of the presence of the rust?

Post Likes
    it sounds like they are out for a quick buck better find a new hvac guy

Post Likes
    Change contractors.

Post Likes
    I agree with most others......change contractors and don't let these guys near your home!!!

Post Likes

Rusted Evaporators

Regarding changing contractors:
    I don't want to trash a 9 year business relationship (it's a large employer), because one person over zealously tried to scare me into a sell (the sell part didn't work, but the scare did).
    I spoke with the Service Manager after I received your responses. Someone may have suggested the technicians look for new business on their maintenance appointments or this tech was trying to bump his commissions; but I don't want him to lose his job.
    I am not scared anymore because you all helped out with your comments...Thank you, thank you very much.
    In answer to kangaroogod: Yes.
    Last edited by Kimm; 02-15-2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Response out of place

Post Likes
    Our "caution" is simply that you are involved with a firm who puts a very high priority on sales, and not necessarily on service. Resulting in undertrained techs "selling" simply because they either make larger commissions, or ignorance. Ethics must sooner or later become a factor in deciding whether to find someone else to take care of your system. Ethics are practiced within the company on a daily basis. Rust on the end plates of an A coil is VERY common and should NEVER be a reason for system or coil replacement. If this tech is coming into a customer's home and does not know this, then I'd be concerned. You were right to follow up with the service manager, however the manager I'm sure was somehow involved in this from the beginning also. Either by default, or direction. Be careful and don't hesitate to post if need further assistance!!

Post Likes
    your hesitence to have him fired is understandable though what about the old lady on his next call who gets taken for her fixed income check by way of scare tactics and dosent know to check other avenues or get second opinions? as it is likely the whole company doing the nasty not just one rouge tech ! watch your step , your a long standing customer with a service contract and they didnt mind taking you for a ride . a whole system over rusted coil sheets, wow wish I had your tollerence !?!?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in