Thread: Need another opinion please.

Post Likes

Confused Need another opinion please.

I have a heat pump which consists of a Lennox HP25-411 outside unit and a Coleman 3300 air handler. The outside unit is 12 years old, the indoor unit is original with the 20 year old house.

We've started having problems with adequate heating and called a contractor to check it out. He said everything was working as it should be. A week later I called another contractor and he told me that it was low on freon. He added 3 lbs of freon. The system worked well for a few weeks then started acting up again. Another tech from the same company came out to find the leak. He is their senior, best man. The company has been in business since 1977. After several trips (I won't bore you with the details) he replaces two service valve caps at great expense because of the multiple hours of labor to isolate the leak. Said he could never see any oil stains anywhere. About 4 weeks later the system is again acting up. I call the owner of the company and he basically tells me to replace the whole system.

Are freon leaks really this hard to find? Should I have to replace the whole system?

Post Likes
    Based on the age and the fact that your starting to have problems...replace it and you'll be worry free as long as you choose the right contractor.

Post Likes
    you have a heat pump that is at the end of it's service life and a furnace/airhandler that is past it's service life. why put $$ into repairing it? too many times i have repaired equipment that should have been replaced because the customer couldn't or wouldn't afford new equipment only to return a few weeks or months later and condemn the equipment for some other costly problem.
    you will attract more flies with honey than with vinegar, but you can attract the most with a dead cat

Post Likes
    The system is getting to the age when it should be replaced. That being said, a refer leak should not be impossible to find and repair.
    "We'll have to outwit the fiend with our superior intelligence." Yukon Cornelius

Some people are like Slinkies---not good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

Post Likes

once you pay to find and fix the leak ,
    what are ya gonna do when it springs the next leak,
    get a couple of quotes and replace the system
    (make them replace the lineset also)

Post Likes

replace

replace that outdated system.Use a reputable co. with the bbb make sure their insured and bonded, get 10 yr war and stop the worry!Match your system as well!Definitely replace the line set and if possible the low voltage wiring.Make sure they do a load calc. and inspect ductwork.For your own future benefit a 410a system would be a smart move!Florida?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by scott36 View Post
    replace that outdated system.Use a reputable co. with the bbb make sure their insured and bonded, get 10 yr war and stop the worry!Match your system as well!Definitely replace the line set and if possible the low voltage wiring.Make sure they do a load calc. and inspect ductwork.For your own future benefit a 410a system would be a smart move!Florida?
    why the low voltage wiring? i can think of reasons (mostly based on inspection), just interersted to know yours. regarding the post, i agree to replace based on age coupled with the fact it doesn't seem like your leak is one of the easy ones (read: cheap ones) to fix. what's your aux. or emergency back up form of heat to the heat pump? maybe use that only for a short time if you need to get a few more dollars together or quotes made or ....?
    Last edited by mr horsepower; 01-07-2007 at 11:08 PM. Reason: grammatical and punctuation errors

Post Likes
    To answer your question:
    Yes, some leaks can be extremely hard to find. If it's inside one of the coils, then you'll wind up having to replace the coil because it can't be repaired without digging the fins out - and a good company won't do that. It could also be in a section of the lineset that is not accesible. If they've spent a lot of time already, it's not worth any more to repair it - It is time to replace - at least the air handler, the 12 year old condenser should be replaced also due to damage from running low on freon, but it doesn't have to be replaced. You could just replace just the air handler and in 4 more weeks find the condenser is where the leak is.

It's a tough choice to make. You would be better off in the long run replacing everything - It may be a big investment, but it will pay for itself through your utility bill. And you would have peace of mind knowing you don't have to worry about it breaking down.

Post Likes
    Are freon leaks really this hard to find? Should I have to replace the whole system?
    yes, freon leaks can be very difficult to find. we have found the dye quite useful in those situations. it will reveal all leaks with one application.

Post Likes

leak

I would get three opinions, compute the expense for each resolution, and then make a decisions. Usually, it is cheaper to replace a system that old rather than paying for the time to have someone detect the leak, especially if they are not that good.

Post Likes
    Thanks to everyone for their input. I've got 3 companies lined up to give estimates for a full replacement including the lineset. We are running on electric aux. heat in the mean time. I really appreciate the time your guys take for this forum. You've helped me a lot.

Post Likes

age/misc

Quote Originally Posted by mr horsepower View Post
    why the low voltage wiring? i can think of reasons (mostly based on inspection), just interersted to know yours. regarding the post, i agree to replace based on age coupled with the fact it doesn't seem like your leak is one of the easy ones (read: cheap ones) to fix. what's your aux. or emergency back up form of heat to the heat pump? maybe use that only for a short time if you need to get a few more dollars together or quotes made or ....?
    That is just what we do...the last thing you want is a callback on a system with prices where they are these days.At 20+ years I would want to in my home but I am in fla and the heat and rodents wear on the insulation.It is just a smart thing to do.If possible or plausable.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in