Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    Do you detect a contradiction between those statements? I don't.
    Then you've got comprehension problems.

In one you state that availability of guns is a cause of the crime of mass shootings.

In the other, that guns don't cause crime.

Which is it?

say a kid wants to rob a store but is afraid to do so, so he never attempts it...and grows up to be a law abiding citizen.

Say another kid wants to rob a store and is also afraid...but the next time the kid goes shooting with dad he feels overwhelmed with power...so he takes the gun and robs the store....growing up as a criminal.

Both boys had criminal intent...but only one did anything illegal.

Did the gun cause the crime?

Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    say a kid wants to rob a store but is afraid to do so, so he never attempts it...and grows up to be a law abiding citizen.

Say another kid wants to rob a store and is also afraid...but the next time the kid goes shooting with dad he feels overwhelmed with power...so he takes the gun and robs the store....growing up as a criminal.

Both boys had criminal intent...but only one did anything illegal.

Did the gun cause the crime?
    No, the snot-nosed, entitled little brat did it, not the gun.

Biden is right, no legislation will prevent all mass-shootings.

There is however the possibility that reduced availabilty as part of a comprehensive package will make it more difficult to accomplish a mass-shooting or reduce the number of victims or prevent a mass-shooting.
    And this is where the great divide begins.
    The decisions to regulate guns is based on the premise that if it only saves one life it is worth it. The problem is there is no consideration for value of the gun in the hands of law abiding citizens and the lives it cost with restrictive laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post

The decisions to regulate guns is based on the premise that if it only saves one life it is worth it. The problem is there is no consideration for value of the gun in the hands of law abiding citizens and the lives it cost with restrictive laws.
    http://theacru.org/acru/harvard_stud...terproductive/

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Given all of the laws being broken during a mass shooting, it is completely illogical to believe this.

Reduction in availability would only happen if confiscation were done, and many of those who currently support this legislation would turn around on it if confiscation were a part of it.
    Reduced availabilty as PART OF A COMPREHENSIVE PACKAGE is not only logical but necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Why cant people see this...it's beyond me. I wonder how people would feel if there was legislation that stated that EVERYONE HAD to purchase, maintain, and carry a weapon at all times regardless if they wanted to or not. Point: I have a right to own and carry...you have a right not to. If they don't like the 2nd, then go to Great Britain or somewhere, then we'll all get along (at least on this issue).
    A smooth sea has never made a worthy mariner
    English proverb

Reduced availabilty as PART OF A COMPREHENSIVE PACKAGE is not only logical but necessary.
    There is no comprehensive package, geer.

I'm only hearing ban, ban, ban.

No real talk about mental health reform.

No real talk about addressing the root causes of crime.

No real talk about punishing those who do wrong.

Just about restricting and controlling folks like me who didn't do anything wrong in the first place.

SO, when you've got a good, "comprehensive package" we'll talk.

Until then, pound sand.

No, the snot-nosed, entitled little brat did it, not the gun.
    So you are saying that the great equalizer does not cause a person to do something that they might not do without that power in their hands?

Cocaine has reduced availabilty. It doesn't seem to stop it's illegal distribution or use. If it could save just one life though, it would be worth it...Right?
    A smooth sea has never made a worthy mariner
    English proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Helioson View Post

Why cant people see this...it's beyond me. I wonder how people would feel if there was legislation that stated that EVERYONE HAD to purchase, maintain, and carry a weapon at all times regardless if they wanted to or not. Point: I have a right to own and carry...you have a right not to. If they don't like the 2nd, then go to Great Britain or somewhere, then we'll all get along (at least on this issue).
    Now, THIS is legislation I could support.

At least mandatory basic training in firearms care and safety.

Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post

So you are saying that the great equalizer does not cause a person to do something that they might not do without that power in their hands?
    Not a well-adjusted person, no.

Not a well-adjusted person, no.
    Not a well adjusted person...I agree with you....but just how many teenagers are well adjusted....especially in this day in age?

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast