Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111415161718192021222324 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    How so.

Logically, one would conclude that if we were able to reduce or eliminate the number of people in society that wish to do harm to others, then with NO OTHER CHANGES, we'd see a reduction in crimes that cause harm to people.
    To formulate and implement a program, identify at risk people, deal with legal issues and treat or institutionalize patients would take years to establish and for the effects to become apparent. In the meantime, with no change in availablity of mass-shooting weapons and accessories the situation remains dangerous and unchanged.

So, it stands to reason that a WHOLE approach would be the best and most effective approach to take, rather than saying "let's ban guns and see what happens" which is what the gun grabber crowd is doing.
    A whole approach would indeed be best and that's what is contemplated. However, time is of the essence with delays having the potential to allow more mass-shootings.

It is imperative that the most timely actions be put into place and those actions would be to reduce the availability of the weapons and accesories used in mass-shootings and universal background checks.

Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    To formulate and implement a program, identify at risk people, deal with legal issues and treat or institutionalize patients would take years to establish and for the effects to become apparent. In the meantime, with no change in availablity of mass-shooting weapons and accessories the situation remains dangerous and unchanged.

A whole approach would indeed be best and that's what is contemplated. However, time is of the essence with delays having the potential to allow more mass-shootings.

It is imperative that the most timely actions be put into place and those actions would be to reduce the availability of the weapons and accesories used in mass-shootings and universal background checks.
    no, there is no need to hurry. law abiding citizens aren't going to do anything illegal. the nut jobs all ready have access to whatever they will use.

and there is going to be another mass shooting. My bet is by at least August. Its the only way NObama can push his agenda further. That agenda is confiscation and the last 10 mass shooting have happened since NObama was elected. It's almost a foregone conclusion there will be another.
    LOVE has four letters

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    no, there is no need to hurry. law abiding citizens aren't going to do anything illegal. the nut jobs all ready have access to whatever they will use.
    A compelling reason why the availability of these weapons requires urgent action.

That agenda is confiscation and the last 10 mass shooting have happened since NObama was elected.
    Scary. Almost as scary as the fact that the last 13 mass-shootings before that all occurred during Bush's administration.

It is hard to turn on the TV without seeing violence in TV shows. The movies are even worse. Video games are producing trained killers. Sure it can be argued that all who play the games do not become violent. But the fact remains, that the very disturbed people become trained to do massive damage through these games. Shows like CSI show how to do it. Parents refuse to teach their kids about guns and the responsibility of owning them. Lot of blame to go around. Lots of steps could be taken to reduce the threat. And no matter what you do, you will never eleminate all of the evil.

But logically, school shooting account for a very very small percentage of child deaths. Auto accidents are the leading cause of teen death. According to stats. of those deaths, 22% involve alcohol. Yet we let out teens drive, without supervision. Lives could be saved if we just ban alcohol, more could be saved if we did not let them drive till 21, and if we ban the automobile completely, we could save 40 thousand lives. Sound crazy, yeah about as crazy as a gun ban to reduce school shootings.

So when you have a crowd that want to disarm Americans, this is the perfect excuse. You would think everyone would be outraged about someone exploiting the tradagy. But funny thing about the human mind, logic is not necessarly in our decisions.
    Strangly tho,
    This is exactly what happened in the UK, so they have a blueprint of how to do it.

A compelling reason why the availability of these weapons requires urgent action.

Scary. Almost as scary as the fact that the last 13 mass-shootings before that all occurred during Bush's administration.
    no, http://www.nycrimecommission.org/ini...-shootings.php
    LOVE has four letters

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    It is hard to turn on the TV without seeing violence in TV shows. The movies are even worse. Video games are producing trained killers. Sure it can be argued that all who play the games do not become violent. But the fact remains, that the very disturbed people become trained to do massive damage through these games. Shows like CSI show how to do it. Parents refuse to teach their kids about guns and the responsibility of owning them. Lot of blame to go around. Lots of steps could be taken to reduce the threat. And no matter what you do, you will never eleminate all of the evil.

But logically, school shooting account for a very very small percentage of child deaths. Auto accidents are the leading cause of teen death. According to stats. of those deaths, 22% involve alcohol. Yet we let out teens drive, without supervision. Lives could be saved if we just ban alcohol, more could be saved if we did not let them drive till 21, and if we ban the automobile completely, we could save 40 thousand lives. Sound crazy, yeah about as crazy as a gun ban to reduce school shootings.

So when you have a crowd that want to disarm Americans, this is the perfect excuse. You would think everyone would be outraged about someone exploiting the tradagy. But funny thing about the human mind, logic is not necessarly in our decisions.
    Strangly tho,
    This is exactly what happened in the UK, so they have a blueprint of how to do it.
    America's next mass shooter:

WARNING: BAD LANGUAGE....WARNING: BAD LANGUAGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORaBMF4TscM
    LOVE has four letters

Yes.

1. October 2002 Sniper shootings in Washington D.C. 10 dead.

2. August 2003 Chicago laid off worker kills 6 people

3. November 2004 Birchwood, Wisconsin hunter kills 6 wounds 2

4. March 2005 Brookfield, Wisconsin Man opens fire in church kills 7

5. October 2006 Nickel Mines, Pa. Truck driver kills 5 schoolgirls wounds 6

6. April 2007 Virginia Tech 32 killed 15 wounded

7. August 2007 Delaware State University 4 killed

8. December 2007 Carnation, Washington woman and boyfriend kill 6 family members

9. December 2007 Omaha, Nebraska 9 killed 5 wounded

10. Feburary 2008 Chicago shopping mall 5 killed 1 wounded

11. Feburary 2008 Northern Illinois University 5 killed 16 wounded

12. September 2008 Alger Washington 6 killed 2 wounded

13. December 2008 Covina, California 9 killed

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/12/14...united-states/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Fre...es_Act_of_1990

Hmmm.

Now, I know that correlation doesn't mean causation, but there is enough correlation here for me.
    Thanks JP, your link pointed out two shootings I had missed.

That brings Bush's total up to 15.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/12/14...united-states/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Fre...es_Act_of_1990

Hmmm.

Now, I know that correlation doesn't mean causation, but there is enough correlation here for me.
    Uh, yep. Gun free....
    A smooth sea has never made a worthy mariner
    English proverb

I can see what background checks for gun ownership will turn into..... "You believe the bible is the actual word of God?" "You try to pattern your life after the Bible according to how you see it?"

You are a nut and do not qualify to own a firearm.

If you think I am off base here try this on for size. My nephew applied for a position as a police officer and was rejected because the psychologist learned that he is a Christian and believes the Bible is the word of God. The Minneapolis police department hired him. He asked the psychologist about his previous rejection with the other police department and was told "Yes, some psychologists consider such religious beliefs as dangerous". "Not here in Minneapolis as long as I am the police psychologist".

California does allow for concealed carry permits but refuses to provide the criteria to get one. When I lived in California I attempted to get one myself and was refused. They also refused to tell me what was required to qualify. I can tell you what it takes.... the right connections like be a famous actor, judge or in a place of power and money. It does vary widely depending upon the county you live in and there is no standard.

Now I live in a free state where anyone 18 or over with no felony arrests must be granted a concealed carry permit by our state constitution. We don't have much of a violent crime rate and concealed carriers have stoped or prevented many, many violent crimes most without firing a shot. The sight of a concealed carrier pulling out a firearm pretty much puts a stop to most crap right away.

God created man, Colt made them equal. Don't mess with my daughters or my wife, as they are armed as they go about their business.

Hugh B

Thanks JP, your link pointed out two shootings I had missed.

That brings Bush's total up to 15.
    Thanks JP and of course geerair should know who the last statesmen who proposed legislation to amend to the gunkilling zone law.

I'll give em a hint he is a Doctor and has a slight drawl.
    FEN

Quote Originally Posted by the mojo View Post
    Thanks JP and of course geerair should know who the last statesmen who proposed legislation to amend to the gunkilling zone law.

I'll give em a hint he is a Doctor and has a slight drawl.
    Of course, geer blew right past the point that I was trying to make to blame more shootings on Bush. A convenient target, but it doesn't move the discussion forward at all.

None of these discussions for or against gun bans really make any progress.

You've got one side who wants to take freedom away from good americans in the name of saving a few lives with no regard to the cost of doing so, and another side who is tired of being made the "fall guy" for a vanishingly small group of people who cannot be trusted with freedom.

Let's me say that guns are not the problem. Access to guns is not the problem.

People that wish to do harm to others ARE the problem.

Unless and until we, as a society, are prepared to do some difficult things and figure out why we have a class of people who wish to do harm to do other people, we will ALWAYS have that class of people.

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111415161718192021222324 LastLast