+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duct leakage questions

Post Likes

Duct leakage questions

Do you guys duct seal and/or tape the seams of the snap lock on ductwork?

Post Likes
    Anyone?

Post Likes
    Don't do installs anymore but back in the day yes and no. Should you? Yes. It's a very cut throat market in residential. 9 times out of 10 the low bid gets the work and I promise you his bid will not include duct sealing.

Post Likes
    Mastic all seams, better than most duct tape. There is also matic tape but it is cheaper to buy a bucket and brush but a bit messy it you dont give it time to dry before wrapping/hanging.

Post Likes
    I use a combo of paint on mastic & mastic tape.
    depends on what is being sealed & if it has to be wrapped
    or how close duct take offs are on plenums.
    having both on hand makes it simple.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    Ok thanks for the responses. I personally prefer to duct seal it with paint on mastik because its the cheapest, but sometimes i use the foil tape, i would never use mastik tape its like $40 a roll. My boss insists we do it though i was just curious because i had the theory that its not a leak spot unless you undersize your ductwork. The way i see it is that the air wants to take the path of least resistance which is down the duct to the supply or return, why would it want to fight its way through a tiny crack if the duct isnt undersized.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Datsik View Post
    Do you guys duct seal and/or tape the seams of the snap lock on ductwork?
    what for...... and never
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    some of us just care that much....

Post Likes
    where do you think the leakage goes...... outside.... don't think so...... done hundreds of houses zero problems ....and zero foil tape....lol
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Umm yes.... it leaks outside..... Thats why we seal the ducts....mastic is better than foil tape...lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtime View Post
    Umm yes.... it leaks outside..... Thats why we seal the ducts....mastic is better than foil tape...lol
    o.k ...seal away....

Post Likes
    will do..... and its not just because of pride.....its cause its code....

Post Likes
    I hear ya not code hear on residential....commercial sometimes depends on the engineer..... i don't disagree with you just not common practice here...

Post Likes
    Gotcha. And I was just messing with you too.

It is code here and really good practice also. If the duct is in the conditioned space, not a big deal, agreed. If its in the attic or crawl space, it should be sealed. And its almost all in "non-conditioned" space here.

Post Likes
    I pay less than $25 a roll for hardcast brand 1402 mastic tape.
    and that includes tax.
    materials are charged to homeowner, so what is the worry that
    it is a higher cost than paint on mastic. the money saved in time
    not used waiting for mastic to dry makes up the difference several times over.

just my pov.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy_rater_La View Post
    and that includes tax.
    materials are charged to homeowner, so what is the worry that
    it is a higher cost than paint on mastic. the money saved in time
    not used waiting for mastic to dry makes up the difference several times over.

just my pov.
    I dont even wait for it to try just wrap it right after with bubble wrap, can be messy sometimes. And i only ask not because of pride but because its also code in relation to duct leak testing

Post Likes
    I never use bubble wrap. code allows it in Ma?
    not here. and our codes allow R-6.
    you might find this article of interest.
    http://www.energyvanguard.com/blog-b...diant-Barriers

I only use R-8 ductwrap for hard pipe, and
    have to special order it, as supply houses stock
    R-6. putting R-6 in a hot vented attic makes no sense
    at all. but code allows it. crazy!

Post Likes
    I read the article. There are things about his description of radiant barriers that defy physics. And maybe, due to his choice of words, it's semantics.

If a fluid or solid of any sort exists in any state it will seek equilibrium, either positive or negative, Doesn't matter if the energy mechanism is conductance, radiance, convection or any other thing in the Milky Way. The mathematics are pretty straightforward and do not lie. The conservation of energy and mass are irrefutable.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy_rater_La View Post
    and that includes tax.
    Stop buying the cheap stuff, get Hardcast 1403, with the black butyl rubber!

It is easier to work with than 1402, especially in hot environments. The reduced hassle, is worth the price.

Post Likes
    Around here we are still getting used to increased RNC energy codes that include duct sealing. You're only allowed so much duct leakage and it includes what is lost at the boot going into the conditioned space.
    The three most prevalent methods I've heard around hear are Mastic, the Hardcast tape w/ blue writing and black rubber backing, and siliconing every joint. Everyone has their own preference, but it seems the tape is the most popular in my county.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in