Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I know what I will be doing this week.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

I made one last night at my neighbors house. The ping pong ball shattered when it hit the tape on the discharge end.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

We use a double layer of Scotch Transparent removable tape on both ends of the pipe. I think it is Scotch 811 Magic tape. It is a 4" wide roll. Place it over the end of the pipe and fold over the edges. Then wrap it with duct tape to create a tight seal.

Mayguy-Tom didn't let you guys play around a bit? Imagine that?!?
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

I had a single layer of masking tape on both ends. I did the same with duct tape. I told my wife to pick me up some really cheap ping pong balls and im going to try again. Does the length of pipe matter?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know if pipe length matters or not. If I were to do it over, I would move my access fitting another 2 inches up the pipe. Makes it hard to tape up being that close to the end. The piece I'm using is about 5 feet long.
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

I'm going to try my hand at building a super sonic one.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Mark, I would expect a video upon your success?

Correction: 400-600 MPH, not feet per second in post #2. Super sonic should get you 768+ MPH. Stand back
    Last edited by doc havoc; 02-20-2013 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Added correction

Quote Originally Posted by doc havoc View Post
    Mark, I would expect a video upon your success?
    There will either be a video, or a real winner of a red neck obituary.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Mayguy-Tom didn't let you guys play around a bit? Imagine that?!?
    LOL Well, we didn't have time for that!

Quote Originally Posted by mayguy View Post
    LOL Well, we didn't have time for that!
    We don't really have time either. This was done mainly on breaks and outside of class time. The difference being, Tom probably wouldn't let people hang out after class was done? I don't really know him, only his reputation.

What if you used a larger pipe on the vacuum end, reduced it on the other end to hold the ping pong ball, so you would have more air rushing in?

Not sure what that would do. The air is still only coming in at 14.7 psi. The ball only reaches those speeds due the the lack of air resistance in the evacuated tube. I don't think a larger chamber on the back end would make a difference. Would be interesting to try out. If we have time, I'll give it a shot and update.

We don't really have time either. This was done mainly on breaks and outside of class time. The difference being, Tom probably wouldn't let people hang out after class was done? I don't really know him, only his reputation.
    He did let us stay after class to work on lab or if we needed one on one.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast