Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: megohmeter

megohmeter

I'm looking for a megohmeter for working on residential and light commercial. What brand and model would be best?

fluke

I like the Biddle crank style. never used the Fluke.

supco makes one it is ok and inexpensive the one from fluke is awsome but very pricey, supco approx. 100.00 the one from fluke they make a couple and range from 450-2500 dollars i have the supco and it works just fine , but if you think you are getting false readings always change the batteries in it then re-check.
    Its not what you know its what you can prove.

Quote Originally Posted by acdude32 View Post
    supco makes one it is ok and inexpensive the one from fluke is awsome but very pricey, supco approx. 100.00 the one from fluke they make a couple and range from 450-2500 dollars i have the supco and it works just fine , but if you think you are getting false readings always change the batteries in it then re-check.
    agree, supco M-500 is what a lot of techs (including myself) use!

Smile

Try this
    SMG5 Megohm meter
    Low cost meter for checking compressor insulation.

Predict compressor failure.
    1000VDC stresses insulation to
    measure up to 2000Mohms.
    Backlit LCD display.
    Auto-off to extend battery life.
    Case, alligator clip, leads with
    removable tips.

Description and Application

The SMG5 provides a 1000V voltage source, monitors current, and displays the resistance between the test points. Maximum current output is <1mA. It can be used to determine the condition of insulation from winding to ground in a motor, compressor, or transformer.

Disconnect the windings and measure the resistance between the windings and ground through the insulation. Determine what a "good" reading is by comparing your reading to values supplied by the manufacturer of the equipment or from your own experience.

Noticing decreasing insulation resistance levels can forecast problems before catastrophic failure.
    Why a DMM often isn't enough

To test resistance, a DMM supplies low voltage (<1V) to the test points and is capable of delivering only a few milliamps. It's not a high enough voltage to detect high resistance problems that might indicate moisture and other contaminants and it's not enough current to measure lower values of resistance.
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

I have a fluke and I like it alot. As said, its big$$ but I like knowing that when I need it its there and will work correctly. On this note, the older crank type are near bullet proof. I've seen some older than me and working like the day they were made.

This is the Fluke 1587. The whole kit was about $600.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    agree, supco M-500 is what a lot of techs (including myself) use!

supco's just tells you good or bad and is quick and easy ....

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Reeferman View Post
    This is the Fluke 1587. The whole kit was about $600.00.
    Good price. Up to $868.00
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

I have a Supco and it works really well considering the price. Co-worker told me what a piece of junk it was. He hooked it to his little fingers and pressed the button After he'd partially recovered, I asked him if he wanted me to press the button again, so he could come to definite opinion on it.

Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    I have a Supco and it works really well considering the price. Co-worker told me what a piece of junk it was. He hooked it to his little fingers and pressed the button After he'd partially recovered, I asked him if he wanted me to press the button again, so he could come to definite opinion on it.
    Seriously what does that prove ??

I know plenty of Prank/Joke/novelty knick knacks that do it.

One is in for of small little metal book that say " Secret of Sex"
    Other in form of pens etc.

Just because it could produce high voltage is only a fraction of MegOhm Meter.
    The main function is to be able to measure the voltage that break tru the insulation accurately.

I find the supco 99.9% speak with a guy who owns the fluke and he said if he didnt get it for 600 tax in he would have just bought the supco guys have compared them to each other and came to the conclusion it is what it is a piece of equipment that get used a few times a year

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast