Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One on me

I was told by my instructor after every break they become weaker and will break under a lower amperage. He also said after 3 trips they should be replaced and same goes for surge protectors.

I had a furnace that I couldn't find the breaker for. So I grounded it out. 20 amp breaker. Tripped the main... Oooops!

I had rep. for a electrical company tell me that breakers are only guaranteed for one trip, they may work after that but are only guaranteed for one trip.

So if you buy a "new" or different home first thing you should do is change the breakers cause you don't know how many times they have been tripped? Can honestly say I have never seen anyone do anything like that, and I would think if breakers had such a short life span that would be common practice. I would have to agree that I would think direct shorts cannot be good for breakers but not sure how they could put a number on it. If they were that susceptible to damage you would think they would make them inoperable after a dead short. In fact I'm surprised they haven't being that they could sell a lot more breakers and take more liability of themselves (the manufacturers) that is. If we just go back to glass screw in fuses we will all be safe

I do that kind of stuff when I am thinking! Changing a contactor two weeks ago while talking to my help and felt my pinky go into hyper drive....forgot to turn off the disconnect.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

I have replaced many breakers because they had gone soft from being tripped repeatedly. I have also replaced breakers because they were Federal Pacific. That's about the same thing as not opening when they are supposed to.
    Carpe Carp~ Seize the carp

breakers do get weak but no they are not rated for one trip only. One trip only is called a fuse. When breakers came into being the old sparkies started the one trip only fantasy to sell stuff or just out of ignorance and its still with us all these years later.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyed View Post
    I had a furnace that I couldn't find the breaker for. So I grounded it out. 20 amp breaker. Tripped the main... Oooops!
    That happened to me a mos ago... AC unit shorted (broken plastic in contactor). Tripped the 200A main.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkb79 View Post
    A friend of mine who's new to the industry went on an A/C maint. This past spring, he said the condenser wouldn't turn on, he opened disconnect box and found melted wires. He made the rookie mistake of asking the home owner to turn breaker off, he said he went to unscrew the lugs and got thrown back about five feet landed on his back and the sparks lit the vinal siding on fire. The homeowner grabed the garden hose to spray the fire. Luckily my friend was fast enough to stop him before he killed them both. When he told me this story all I could do was to laph, he got a little upset I told him well that's the last time you trust someone else to kill the juice. I also told him the volt meter in his bag is a good thing to use too. After seeing pictures I don't understand how the heck he got the disconnect taken apart without getting hit.
    The Roof....The Roof....The Roof is on Fire......We Don't Need No Water....Let the Muthafugga Burn..

Sorry, I could help myself on this one. /couchhide
    Quoted by "bmathews"

"Just call somebody out. Nobody on here can fix it from over the computer."

same here 277 to pinky OUCH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12