Page 1 of 13 1234567811 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 159
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    33
    Post Likes

    New install - complaints from homeowner

    I've been doing this probably before most of you were born. So I know my stuff or would hope so homeowner is a home inspector and is telling me my work is not up to code. Installed two new units and he is telling me I didn't seal the edges of the fiberglass which according to him is against code in Arizona. Does this make any sense or is he trying to just bust my balls?

  2. Likes DeputyDawg605, Galt liked this post
    Dislikes HVAC_Marc disliked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Visalia California 93291
    Posts
    5,194
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy1948 View Post
    I've been doing this probably before most of you were born. So I know my stuff or would hope so homeowner is a home inspector and is telling me my work is not up to code. Installed two new units and he is telling me I didn't seal the edges of the fiberglass which according to him is against code in Arizona. Does this make any sense or is he trying to just bust my balls?
    You tell us....we seal the edges, but ever if a code question comes up, we have code books...what does your area require?

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Houston,Tx.
    Posts
    17,569
    Post Likes

    New install - complaints from homeowner

    Home inspector? At 64 I would not have touch that job, not even if I were starving. I just can't deal with these kind of jobs anymore, I don't need the stress.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". -Vernon Law-

    "Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" - Unknown


  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,172
    Post Likes
    What edges of f glass are you all talking about ??? Duct liner ???
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

    WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

    Chewbacca Mom 2016

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Anderson, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    12,649
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    What edges of f glass are you all talking about ??? Duct liner ???
    Provably duct board. I'd say yes you should definately seal the edges. Without sealing the edges you don't have a complete vapor barrier.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    33
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Provably duct board. I'd say yes you should definately seal the edges. Without sealing the edges you don't have a complete vapor barrier.


    Just standard black duct board. It's glued to the sheet metal and fastened on as well. Always did it this way. Have never sealed the edges - no one ever complained before and everyone I've seen does it the same way. It's extra work to seal every edge etc...

  8. Dislikes HVAC_Marc disliked this post
  9. #7
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    33
    Post Likes
    homeowner sent me pictures if i can get feedback ?

    http://imgur.com/a/Hn6bc
    http://imgur.com/a/Hn6bc

  10. Likes Hollywood88 liked this post
    Dislikes HVAC_Marc disliked this post
  11. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Visalia California 93291
    Posts
    5,194
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy1948 View Post
    homeowner sent me pictures if i can get feedback ?

    http://imgur.com/a/Hn6bc
    http://imgur.com/a/Hn6bc
    Yup, seal the edges...

  12. #9
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    33
    Post Likes
    lol is that code in arizona? i guess im old fashioned haha

  13. Dislikes HVAC_Marc disliked this post
  14. #10
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    33
    Post Likes
    is there anyway around this are u sure this is code in AZ?, if i have to seal up the edges on the closet unit i will probably have to remove it - going to lose a whole day of work!

  15. Dislikes HVAC_Marc disliked this post
  16. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Anderson, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    12,649
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy1948 View Post
    lol is that code in arizona? i guess im old fashioned haha
    No I don't seal the edges on duct liner. I thought you were using duct board with no metal. On sheet metal with duct liner the metal seams would be what needs to be sealed.

    I wouldn't think it would be code but you'd have to check with your AHJ.

  17. Likes Billy1948 liked this post
  18. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western Wa.
    Posts
    1,757
    Post Likes
    Just because you have been doing it for a long time doesn't mean you have been doing it right all this time.
    Code or not what is the bidig deal cut in an access panel and throw some pookie on it you are in and out in less than an hour and you have a happy customer.
    It is up to you to know the codes not just install the stuff the way you have always have done it.
    Last edited by buttwheat; 05-21-2016 at 11:57 PM. Reason: spellin b hard
    UA Proud

    "Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

  19. Dislikes Billy1948 disliked this post
  20. #13
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    33
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buttwheat View Post
    Just because you have been doing it for a long time doesn't mean you have been doing it right all this time.
    Code or not what is the bid deal cut in an access panel and trow some pookie on it you are in and out in less than an hour and you have a happy customer.
    It is up to you to know the codes not just install the stuff the way you have always have done it.
    One is a closet unit - Its a tight fit how am i going to get in there without removing the unit? The other is in the attic and time is money. If its not code and im doing it wrong why should I have to waste a day of my time to do this? If your willing to waste your time on an annoying customer thats ok but i'm too old to do so.

    My original question please - is it code to do this? I told the customer i will research if its code here in arizona and if it is i will do it.

  21. Dislikes HVAC_Marc disliked this post
Page 1 of 13 1234567811 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.
Comfortech 365