Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

ExxonMobil paid to mislead public

I know global warming doesnt affect repugs or their families but....

WASHINGTON - ExxonMobil Corp. gave $16 million to 43 ideological groups between 1998 and 2005 in a coordinated effort to mislead the public by discrediting the science behind global warming, the Union of Concerned Scientists asserted Wednesday.

The report by the science-based nonprofit advocacy group mirrors similar claims by Britain's leading scientific academy. Last September, The Royal Society wrote the oil company asking it to halt support for groups that "misrepresented the science of climate change."

ExxonMobil did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the scientific advocacy group's report.

Many scientists say accumulating carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases from tailpipes and smokestacks are warming the atmosphere like a greenhouse, melting Arctic sea ice, alpine glaciers and disturbing the lives of animals and plants.

ExxonMobil lists on its Web site nearly $133 million in 2005 contributions globally, including $6.8 million for "public information and policy research" distributed to more than 140 think-tanks, universities, foundations, associations and other groups. Some of those have publicly disputed the link between greenhouse gas emissions and global warming.

But in September, the company said in response to the Royal Society that it funded groups which research "significant policy issues and promote informed discussion on issues of direct relevance to the company." It said the groups do not speak for the company.

Alden Meyer, the Union of Concerned Scientists' strategy and policy director, said in a teleconference that ExxonMobil based its tactics on those of tobacco companies, spreading uncertainty by misrepresenting peer-reviewed scientific studies or cherry-picking facts.

Global warming, not sure its happening, we are breaking temperature records set in the early 1900's. as for cigarettes and lung cancer;please do tell what causes the following ,cervical cancer, prostate cancer, breast cancer and colon cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    Global warming, not sure its happening, we are breaking temperature records set in the early 1900's. as for cigarettes and lung cancer;please do tell what causes the following ,cervical cancer, prostate cancer, breast cancer and colon cancer.
    Why?

why not, if you are to have an agenda, expand your knowledge in other falacys

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    why not, if you are to have an agenda, expand your knowledge in other falacys
    Who says its a fallacy? Groups paid to say it is? LOL Its your post that has nothing to do with the topic. Concentrate.

Union of Concerned Scientists also pressured Bill Clinton not to deploy a missile defense system no matter how well it performed. Anyone can join. Must look impressive on a resume. Their board is made up of old hippy college professors from the New England area and Berkley California as well as a actress. This junk was already posted here a few months back

The Union of Concerned Scientists was born out of a protest against the war in Vietnam. In 1969, a group of 48 faculty members at MIT -- the original “union” -- sponsored a one-day work stoppage of scientific research. A conference that coincided with the strike included appearances from such notables as Noam Chomsky (who is now recognized as a leader of the 21st Century “hate-America left”); Eric Mann, who led the 1960s terrorist Weather Underground; and Jonathan Kabat, who argued: “We want capitalism to come to an end.”

Later that year, when the founding document of the Union of Concerned Scientists was formalized, the United States’ relationship with the Soviet Union was featured even more prominently than environmental issues. Three of the five propositions in the founding document concern political questions of the Cold War -- a topic about which even the brightest physicists and biologists can claim no particular expertise.

UCS continues to involve itself in issues where scientific credentials carry little weight. For example, the group opposes urban sprawl, disputes a war in Iraq, and supports abortion. While these positions may be perfectly legitimate in themselves, they are hardly the product of “rigorous scientific analysis.”

An early petition from UCS argues: “A new ethic is required -- a new attitude towards discharging our responsibility for caring for ourselves and for the earth… This ethic must motivate a great movement.” So activists with lab coats are now presuming to instruct us on matters of ethics and politics.

Among its ethical appeals that have nothing to do with science, UCS’s approach to farming stands out. The activist group advocates “a sustainable approach, based on understanding agriculture as an ecosystem.” They call it an “agroecosystem,” and label it “holistic.” They call it “science”; the rest of us call it Zen.

At UCS, politics drives science -- not the other way around. “We undervalue our scientists and agriculturalists if we accept today’s productive, but highly polluting agriculture,” UCS claims. Of course, UCS advocates organic-only agriculture, the widespread adoption of which (at today’s anemic levels of production) would result in mass starvation. So in this instance, some form of technology will surely have to save the day, even for organic farmers. But when it comes to something UCS opposes -- like missile defense -- they argue that the technology will never work.

Respectable scientists operate by considering a question, developing a methodology to answer that question, and only then arriving at a conclusion. They disdain political interference, and go to the media only when their conclusions warrant immediate public attention. The Union of Concerned Scientists stands this process on its head. It develops a press strategy first, and then conducts politically tainted and methodologically flawed analysis. After all, it’s getting harder to convince the media that your environmental scare is more lurid than the next guy’s. You need good PR. That’s why UCS partners with slick Washington PR firms -- to get attention, whether or not there’s good science behind the sound bites.

By any real scientific yardstick, the Union of Concerned Scientists has a lousy track record. Their predictions are often laughably, and sometimes tragically, wrong. A few examples:

In 1997 UCS organized a petition that warned of “global warming” and advocated U.S. ratification of the Kyoto treaty. It was signed by 1,600 scientists, and so UCS declared that “the scientific community has reached a consensus.” But when a counter-petition that questioned this so-called “consensus” was signed by more than 17,000 other scientists, UCS declared it a “deliberate attempt to deceive the scientific community with misinformation.”

UCS invested significant resources in “a multiyear effort to protect Bacillus thuringiensis, a valuable natural pesticide, by bringing high visibility to a preliminary report on the toxic effect of transgenic [biotech] corn pollen on the Monarch Butterfly.” Unfortunately for them, both the USDA and the EPA have concluded that Bt corn is only a threat to the crop-devastating insects it’s supposed to kill.

Based, we suppose, on some “science” or other, UCS’s Margaret Mellon predicted in 1999 that American farmers would reduce their planting of genetically enhanced seeds in the year 2000, saying it “probably represents a turning point.” What happened? Just the reverse. Planting of biotech crops has increased in 2000, 2001 and 2002 -- and shows no sign of slowing down.

In 1980 UCS predicted that the earth would soon run out of fossil fuels. “It is now abundantly clear,” the group wrote, “that the world has entered a period of chronic energy shortages.” Oops! Known reserves of oil, coal and natural gas have never been higher, and show every sign of increasing.

To improve fuel efficiency, UCS argues for lighter tires on SUVs. But lighter tires are blamed -- even by Ralph’s Nader’s Public Citizen -- for tread separation. 148 deaths and more than 500 injuries were attributed to tread separation in Firestone tires alone.
    UCS apparently hasn’t learned from its many, many mistakes. But if at first you don’t succeed, scare, scare again.

Quote Originally Posted by acefurnacefixer View Post
    tinknocker44 thats a great post and just another reason (of millions or is it trillions) to never trust the OIL COMPANYS or anyone associated with them.
    Thanks Ace. Cant wait for a reliable response from the pugs.

EXCELLENT POST TIN!! 2 thumbs up!!

Okay. So. Oil Companies clearly are evil. They've somehow managed to make profits in their market. They're responsible for whatever weirdness iscurrently being reported by the weather chick on tv. In a few years we'll finally have proof that they created and set loose the whole HIV situation. And I'm not sure how, but I know damn well they're responsible for the scratch on my wife's paint job.

In our trade, we too have been found guilty of Profit Making, Environment Ruining, Disease Spreading and Wife Sampling.

Two questions I'd pose:

1) What VIABLE alternative to the Oil Industry exists?

2) What VIABLE alternative to the HVAC/R industry exists?

You boys are throwing stones from your own glass porch. Lot of very bright minds at this website. If we can come up with answers to either question, we'll change the world over night.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by engineerdave View Post
    Okay. So. Oil Companies clearly are evil. They've somehow managed to make profits in their market. They're responsible for whatever weirdness iscurrently being reported by the weather chick on tv. In a few years we'll finally have proof that they created and set loose the whole HIV situation. And I'm not sure how, but I know damn well they're responsible for the scratch on my wife's paint job.

In our trade, we too have been found guilty of Profit Making, Environment Ruining, Disease Spreading and Wife Sampling.

Two questions I'd pose:

1) What VIABLE alternative to the Oil Industry exists?

You boys are throwing stones from your own glass porch. Lot of very bright minds at this website. If we can come up with answers to either question, we'll change the world over night.

Excellent post, dave. There really are some brilliant minds here (although some of them couldn't debate their collective way out of a wet paper sack).

All it takes is one good idea from which to springboard and market. Me...I'm not an idea man. But there are quite a few here who have huge potential.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Quote Originally Posted by engineerdave;

__________________________________________________ ______________

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    Great stuff dave!
    This is a orangutanian attempt to disaccociate everyone, other than supposed Republicans, from any known responsibility for the world's woes.
    It comes from the ARP's version of Clyde the Orangutan.

Two questions I'd pose:

1) What [I
    VIABLE[/I] alternative to the Oil Industry exists?

__________________________________________________ _____________

They're not really throwing stones.....

more like very small pebbles.

my niggahs..........

hate to take this slightly off topic but has anyone else been noticing that exxon stations are closing down.

Around here...eastern tennessee..... Ive noticed that all the exxon stations are either closing completely or are being changed over to BP...I think... they all still have the plastic on the signs..... Exxon cards no longer supported....I think they are advertising BP cards now...

Strange.... I always preferred buying my gas at exxon...and will probably still use the existing stores no matter what they go to...

During work I only like to use certain stores....clean well lit stores with clean restrooms.... I dont care if someone has prices at 50 percent of everyone else....the store better be clean and have a clean restroom or they dont get my business.

A while back I was in a bad part of a town near here....had an emergency and I had to quickly run to a supply house......I was out of cigarettes..... closest and most convienient place was a gas station right down the street from the business I was at... Stopped went in and the place would knock you down.... looked like a couple of drug addicts in there as customers.... it was ran by a pakistani or some other something....and the place stank like hell......
    I wanted to shower after leaving there......lord knows what clung to me while in there........ a real mess...

I only wish I had more time that evening...I would have bought some kerosene and cleaned the place up after dark....lol

oh...they served food in there too...hotdogs, corndogs, bisquits..... man...I cant imagine walking in there and buying something to eat....

Global warming is caused by the sun not man

Mars' ice caps are melting because of a warming sun. Just like we are. Check out the web site. http://www.mos.org/cst-archive/article/80/9.html

Also if we could get rid of all the commie loving anti captalist eviromental wacko's we would all be twice as rich today and have less CO2 in the atmosphere because we would have electricity at half the cost through cheap atomic power via fast breeder reactors and with out unrealistic safety factors to make it cost 3 times what it should cost. Industry could produce products a lot cheaper and you would not be using oil or gas to heat your homes. Just cheap electricty with heat pumps.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast