Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Duct Cleaning Technology for Flex Ducts and for rodent sanitation

Dear friends,

I have a house on a greenbelt and have battled rats and squirrils for years. I havent turn on my furnace for a couple seasons when I found out some rats chewed into my flex duct in my crawl space. Aside from having the rats excluded and the crawl space cleaned up AND aside from having my furnace serviced before I start it up this season - I want to either replace my flex ducts with clean ducts OR fix the ones that have been chewed through ( IE replace them ) and have my ducts clean. QUESTION: How effective is duct cleaning on flex ducts and How effective is duct cleaning to sanitize ducts that have rodent droppings in them ? Of couse there is also the issue as to a main distribution manifold - which is nothing but a straight pipe with spuds on it for the flex. Any suggestions for duct cleaners in the Seattle area ?

thank you !!

Honestly If it were my house I would replace the duct work. No sense in taking a risk with cleaning the ducts and they really don't get sanitized enough to kill any bacteria from that rats. Definitely if it were my home I would replace the ducts no question

Is it round pipe for the main trunk? Replacing the flex at least would be, in my opinion, the most effective way. The trunk line possibly. Especially if it is fiberglass/duct board. Pics would definitely help here.

they make AgIon coated flex duct now....clients seem to like it, havent put it in my house...yet

Quote Originally Posted by Gross View Post
    they make AgIon coated flex duct now....clients seem to like it, havent put it in my house...yet
    what difference does it make?

If it would be my house I would throw away all plastic flex duct. I would power vac clean, sanitize and keep sheet metal ductwork. I would replace plastic flex ducts with insulated metal flexible duct.

Quote Originally Posted by thefatguy View Post
    Dear friends,

I have a house on a greenbelt and have battled rats and squirrils for years. I havent turn on my furnace for a couple seasons when I found out some rats chewed into my flex duct in my crawl space. Aside from having the rats excluded and the crawl space cleaned up AND aside from having my furnace serviced before I start it up this season - I want to either replace my flex ducts with clean ducts OR fix the ones that have been chewed through ( IE replace them ) and have my ducts clean. QUESTION: How effective is duct cleaning on flex ducts and How effective is duct cleaning to sanitize ducts that have rodent droppings in them ? Of couse there is also the issue as to a main distribution manifold - which is nothing but a straight pipe with spuds on it for the flex. Any suggestions for duct cleaners in the Seattle area ?

thank you !!
    i have had this problem and the only way to solve it is to get the duct work totally replaced. the smell will always linger its like cat piss in carpet , once it saturates theres no way i know of to get rid of it.

also have you considered going back with hard pipe or at least minimizing flex usage ? also stay on top of the rat situation , get a bi-annual pest control worked out or youll be right back where you started.
    catch a man a fish , feed him for a day.
    teach a man to fish , ruin a good business opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth_operator View Post
    what difference does it make?
    its anti microbial...supposed to help with baddies growing in there...again...alleged info..but certianly cant hurt

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyhall.tech.sc View Post
    i have had this problem and the only way to solve it is to get the duct work totally replaced. the smell will always linger its like cat piss in carpet , once it saturates theres no way i know of to get rid of it.

also have you considered going back with hard pipe or at least minimizing flex usage ? also stay on top of the rat situation , get a bi-annual pest control worked out or youll be right back where you started.
    We have run into this problem multiple times and were able to eliminate the smell with power vac cleaning the sheet metal ducts, sanitizing and deodorizing it with EPA registered product like Oxine-AD. (cleaning interior and exterior of the ductwork in the crawlspace.)

Before you do any of this duct stuff. Addressing the varmint situation would be helpful in sustaining your investment. I would replace all vent screens with electrified screens. Place small security cams along different duct runs. Near a register ware u have some light. Find out from someone in your area who has experience with different duct materials to best suit your climate.

Definately need to do something about the rodents.

You don't want this.........http://www.bing.com/health/article/m...s?q=hantavirus

thanks for the suggestions

I went ahead and replaced all the flex - wasnt cheap - but I dont see any other way - the trunk was actually to my suprise properly designed tapering metallic duct. There was not hardly any rat debris in the main trunk also to my suprise. I got under there with the HVAC guy and was photographing the duct interior through the spud holes -

So Im back to my original question - to clean the main trunk - what technology have you found to work best ? The guy Im considering uses a power-vac & feeds either a "slipper ball" or the cat-of-9-tails thing on an air hose down the duct from the other end. I dont want to turn on my furnace until this is done .. thanks again !!

Best way is using negative air! Just liked you described.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast