+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wind roll out issues

Post Likes

wind roll out issues

carrier 48aje has a chronic roll out tripping problem, over the years many solution were tried and still doing it every time the wind blows hard, carrier tech support ran out of ideas, besides replacing the unit what else is there to do?

Post Likes
    Im Just curious if you have looked at the heat exchanger? A lot of times I have found them cracked.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Akkarek View Post
    Im Just curious if you have looked at the heat exchanger? A lot of times I have found them cracked.
    Is kind of hard to take a good look at the HX on them units, for what I could see it looks corroded and there was some cracks on the face plate, I going to quote a replacement but I'm not sure thats the reason why the rollouts trips when windy. Name:  0212131422.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  36.8 KB

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Is kind of hard to take a good look at the HX on them units, for what I could see it looks corroded and there was some cracks on the face plate, I going to quote a replacement but I'm not sure thats the reason why the rollouts trips when windy. Name:  0212131422.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  36.8 KB
    Pretty sure that's gonna be at least part of the issue.

Post Likes
    Just a shot in dark, is the inducer cutting out at all? I had a carrier 10 ton with a bad inducer that would roll out. It would not shut down all the way though to affect the Hall effect switch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    Yeah if it a horizontal discharge it is hard if is a downflow pull of that plate on the end and look at the seems on the heat hanger tubes a lot of times they will be rotten out not so much cracked. And it happens where they join the metal together the whole length of the tube. If I remember correctly it should be about 10 or 11 o'clock if you are looking at it from the access panel end.

Post Likes
    The inducer runs ok, the unit runs for weeks without tripping then on a windy day we get the call, it has two 300K btu's burners assemblies twined, the burner closer to the condenser coil trips most of the time.

Post Likes
    Well you know you have a cracked heat exchanger. Guess that would be the place to start. Do you know how long it has been like that? Just wondering if it was cracked when the first call came in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    your cracked heat exchanger is definitley the culprit, it causes the slower velocity of the combustion fumes and the flames have a harder time pulling thru properly, hence on a windy day they dont suck in to well

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvactech08 View Post
    your cracked heat exchanger is definitley the culprit, it causes the slower velocity of the combustion fumes and the flames have a harder time pulling thru properly, hence on a windy day they dont suck in to well
    I feel the same way but the people incharge dont agree and want to continue searching for the root of the problem.

Post Likes
    So these flue pipe add ons I see aren't a recommended thing huh?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    So these flue pipe add ons I see aren't a recommended thing huh?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Locally Carriers recommends installing some sort of home-made flue pipes, to me that seems like bandaid, its a rooftop unit, designed to be exposed to the elements including wind.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    I feel the same way but the people incharge dont agree and want to continue searching for the root of the problem.
    Hey it's their money. Spend it however they want. Pitch a tent and get out the milking stool.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in