Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Post Likes

    residential shell and tube chiller: replacing a 1959 Kritzer Chill-a-Tron

    Hi all-
    we must replace our ancient chiller and need help finding another compatible system but we're running into roadblocks. First, we live in Chicago, where the only (rare) chillers are in condos and businesses, nobody knows where to find small systems, and second, they are suggesting glycol sytems and plate chillers.

    We'd like to replace the 4-barrel shell and tube chiller we had with another water-only system (our system is closed, not dumped, not water-tower) and we know we'll need to upgrade condensers (to replace the trane XE1000) outside.

    We're hoping hvac experts from other parts of the country know of more products - and, of course, we want pros to do the installation. Any education you can offer on this will be greatly appreciated!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Post Likes
    there aren't many residential sized chillers on the market, but there are some. (most are offshoots of geothermal lines). Waterfurnace, multiaqua, unico systems, are a few that come to mind.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Post Likes
    So what you really nee now is just the shell and tube. What size is yours. Post the full model number of your condenser. You can still use your current condense with a new barrel. may want to contact a commercial company.
    Contractor locator map


    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.