+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Controls tech pay?

Post Likes

Controls tech pay?

I'm interested in JCI vs Siemens in payscale. Are they similar? Is training good in both camps? Or, does one stand out quite a bit more? I'm not AS interested in the money as I am the overall experience and quality of training. I'd really appreciate your feedback, thank you.

P.S. This was posted in the members area but I don't have that clearance yet.

Southeastern Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland
    Post Likes
    Where are you located?

Post Likes
    I'd rather remain anonymous. But anyway, I know each branch is different in both companies. I'm just intrigued because I'm just starting out. Inquiring minds like to ask questions.

Post Likes
    I'm kinda wondering the same. I'm in S. MS. Thinking something in a plant might be a little less strain on these old bones.

Post Likes
    I guess no one wants to divulge. The old days of posting in a forum and getting answers are over. Too bad. :s

Southeastern Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland
    Post Likes
    Kind of difficult to answer without knowing you location and experience.

Post Likes
    We have two offices close by within driving distance and there is a 15 an hour difference in the two. So without you saying locations and how big the city is we cant help.

Post Likes
    Pay will probably be fairly equal as well as training. Go apply at each one and be honest about your experience. I'd say with no experience you are probably looking @ $25K to $35K.
    What position do you want? Engineering, Tech, Install, Sales, Jr PM?
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

Post Likes
    I'm in NYC and around here I've found starting pay for a guy that has some controls experience or mechanical experience $23 - $25 per hour. I used to be a building engineer but got tired of watching the clock turn backwards, I liked the controls aspect of things so made the jump last year.
    My 2 cents.

Post Likes
    Here's the deal program Niagara framework you can have a job Anywhere. You're good 30 to 40 an hour

Post Likes
    Employers are looking for someone who is smart enough to do the job but dumb enough to not know what they are worth.

Post Likes
    incontrol nailed it!! I worked for a company in 1981 they charged $18per hr we had a couple of techs making $10per hr fast forward to today the Company I work for now charges well over $120 per hour, So this scale should have me making $65 per hour I wish.

Post Likes
    I think it all depends on where you live. If cost of living index is high $$ is not worth as much so you get more / hr but if in an area where it is cheaper to live you make less / hr.

Post Likes
    I think we should maybe do a list based on state and exp level. I will start. Please add and discuss.
    Ohio
    Entry Level (HVAC Tech Cert) Less Than 1 Year 25-30k
    Installer (Some controls training) 1-3 Years 32-35k
    Installer/Controls Service (more controls training and AX cert) 3-5 years 35-50k
    Programmer (tons of training and experience) 5+ years 50-60k
    Integrator (multi-brand experience complete job from drawings to training customer, manages multiple installs) usually 10+ years 62.5-80k
    Project Manager 65-85k?
    "It's always controls"

Post Likes
    Seimens and J C I are union shops in most areas. Seimens require that you have training every year in our area. If you are just starting out in Hvac you probably have lot more to learn. But good luck

Post Likes
    Your list looks pretty good. In some areas like ours controls and service are separate Controls are not union and service is union. I'm sure it's not the same everywhere.

Post Likes
    Ice man what experience do you have?? Your pay will reflect your experience. I think you should have a bit of HVAC knowledge, after all most of your controls work will be HVAC and sequences that control them.

njfranco OUT!

Post Likes
    I myself have over forty years in the trade. I've control work on Seimens, honeywell and tracer summit. Also I've done pnuematic controls when DDC wasn't even around lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by skwsproul View Post
    I think we should maybe do a list based on state and exp level. I will start. Please add and discuss.
    Ohio
    Entry Level (HVAC Tech Cert) Less Than 1 Year 25-30k
    Installer (Some controls training) 1-3 Years 32-35k
    Installer/Controls Service (more controls training and AX cert) 3-5 years 35-50k
    Programmer (tons of training and experience) 5+ years 50-60k
    Integrator (multi-brand experience complete job from drawings to training customer, manages multiple installs) usually 10+ years 62.5-80k
    Project Manager 65-85k?
    Sooo, a Sales/Programmer/Integrator/Project Mgr should make a quarter mil/yr, I'm in!!!
    When it is said that BacNet is a better protocol than LonWorks, I die a little more inside.
    ~knottyjabe

Post Likes
    Yeah if it worked that way. Unfortunately in today's market it seems many of us wear many hats. Hopefully we get the biggest hat's pay.
    "It's always controls"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in