+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interview questions for IL local 597

Post Likes

Interview questions for IL local 597

Hello,
    After taking the aptitude test for IL local 597, I was given an interview date. I would like to prepare for the interview as best I could. Does anyone know what kinds of questions I should expect? Also, what would be appropriate attire to wear to the interview?
    Thanks for the help.

Post Likes
    I do not have answer for your question but instead have one for You.What was a aptitude test about?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 1966Chevy2 View Post
    Hello,
    After taking the aptitude test for IL local 597, I was given an interview date. I would like to prepare for the interview as best I could. Does anyone know what kinds of questions I should expect? Also, what would be appropriate attire to wear to the interview?
    Thanks for the help.
    When I went through the interview process, there were several stations with two interviewers: a LU597 employee (as in agent or instructor) and a contractor representative. This was done to cycle through about 10 applicants at a crack. Interviews lasted approx 10 minutes.

I do not remember my specific questions, but several were straight from sample questions gathered from a "job interview question" internet search.

I do not know if each station had the same questions.

If you search "appropriate interview attire", the general consensus is to dress one level up from your normal on the job attire.

A full suit and tie would be considered too much and may send the wrong impression.

Most people there looked like they just rolled out of bed. Although the interview is supposedly 1/2 of your total "score", the applicant never knows anything about the score and there is certainly opportunity to manipulate things.

The aptitude test is administered by a third party and computer graded- but the applicant never knows his or her score.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ibenek View Post
    I do not have answer for your question but instead have one for You.What was a aptitude test about?
    Lots of math questions, fractions in particular. No calculator allowed. Lots of picture based questions.

The title of the study guide is "Apprentice Aptitude Battery" "Test Taking Tips" looks like it is prepared by: GAN Human Resources Associates, Inc. Fifty pages, including provided answer guide.

You can get one for $15 at LU597 when they have apprentice sign up.

Post Likes
    Thank you.I'm in local 265 and I consider switching for 597,cause totally lack of work in My local.but as You write about this test it scared Me(definitely is not easy one)

Post Likes
    LU 597 tests only once a year, and they just did it. Applications are taken every month- instructions are on their website.

I wouldn't be "scared" of the test, but the study guide will help. If you do take the test, wear a watch so you can keep track of time. You can't use a phone.

There have been some mergers in the UA locals here. When work slows down for the 597 building trades journeyman (BTJ) (pipefitters), the benches will be full. They have no shame selling apprentice applications at $20 a pop plus the study guide if you want it. Literally thousands of people apply for less than 200 openings on the BTJ side, less than 50 on the HVAC side.

Their metal trades HVAC card is less than the pipefitter BTJ card and they have some new lower scale "residential" "R-Card" bs which is about 50% of BTJ scale.

The pipefitters, plumbers, electricians and carpenters all have some type of HVAC program, in addition to the sheet metal locals. Hell, 501 had HVAC service on their marquee at Farnsworth and 56. Maybe that's why there is no work in your local.

Post Likes
    Did you interview yet? What were the questions? Just wondering because I have an interview with 597 this week too. Is it just standard basic interview questions? Any tips would be appreciated!

Post Likes
    Too much imbalance in the UA, around here the Locals can't even bring in new members. New Apprentices aren't beng produced.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ibenek View Post
    Thank you.I'm in local 265 and I consider switching for 597,cause totally lack of work in My local.but as You write about this test it scared Me(definitely is not easy one)
    597 is not taking transfers. I am also a 265 member and have been trying for the last 2 months or so to switch. 501 was giving the run around as they were merging. But on Friday I was finally able to talk to a ba, not just a voice mail. And he flat out said no I can not transfer in. Didn't ask if I'm working what local and what can I do. Just a rejection

Post Likes
    So what happens if a few of the Local signatory shops are interested in you? Does L#597 block your hire?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mpr73 View Post
    597 is not taking transfers. I am also a 265 member and have been trying for the last 2 months or so to switch. 501 was giving the run around as they were merging. But on Friday I was finally able to talk to a ba, not just a voice mail. And he flat out said no I can not transfer in. Didn't ask if I'm working what local and what can I do. Just a rejection
    And why would 597 accept a transfer from a sheet metal worker?

If you aren't structural welding or 6G pipe certified, what good are you as a pipefitter? Not that being AWS structural certified is equal to a 6g pipe cert.

All of the 597 service/metal trades classifications are at a lower wage scale, unlike the service side of 265 so I hear.

At least on the plumbing side of the house, all of the ex out of work 501 plumbers just made the out of work list longer in Chicago Plumbers 130. LU 597 didn't take the plumbers.

I would bet that the out of work ex 501 fitters did the same thing at 597- just made the list longer.

As I understand it, there are only two ways to "transfer in" at 597 if you aren't connected. One is through their Hybrid Welding Program, Two is through their apprenticeship program. I was on that Hybrid list and never moved anywhere. Always got excuses about not taking applicants and whatnot, so I stopped calling. It's just another unregulated union list that doesn't seem to mean anything, and from what I hear, 265 also has one of those meaningless lists.

When I went through the 597 HVAC application program, about 3500 people tested out for what would up being 42 available positions. I imagine that similar numbers can be stated for the building trades side. You can assume that more people applied than actually tested, and all those people paid LU 597 $20 for a slot and some paid $15 for the study guide. In short, they don't need you.
    Last edited by neophytes serendipity; 02-26-2013 at 07:51 AM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicallyInclined View Post
    Too much imbalance in the UA, around here the Locals can't even bring in new members. New Apprentices aren't beng produced.
    That is too bad. If we shut people out, it will only make the competition stronger.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by UAHVACR View Post
    That is too bad. If we shut people out, it will only make the competition stronger.
    In my opinion, the UA should be pursuing Daikin-McQuay, Emcor, Hussman, Trane and even Source Techs nationwide, not just here or there. Overall, UA HVACR is the least of the UA's concerns. At least it seems that way.

Post Likes
    I completely agree. I would love to have that discussion in length. You seem to be a great voice for the the HVAC industry as it pertains to the UA. Keep up the good work

Post Likes
    There was a guy out here, really pushing the Union word. He was working for one of those shops that I mentioned. I work for a different shop that I mentioned. He said most people he talked to were standing pat about staying non-Union. Last I heard he went back to where he was from. Anyways more national Union shops out here would give us more options. I'm really not into locally owned shops, Union or non-Union. I've had bad experiences with both.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in