Thread: Ruud achiever 90 plus gas furnace flame will not stay on

Post Likes

Ruud achiever 90 plus gas furnace flame will not stay on

Hi, I have a Ruud Achiever 90 Plus unit. New in 2004. Just last Sunday after we had the heavy winter snow, we got up cold in the morning. The furnace ceased to operate.

I reset the furnace unit cycles and the flame/burner goes out after few seconds. It goes like that for few tries and locks-out.
    Someone suggested to clean the flame sensor, which I did so and it work for about 20 minutes. And I get the same problem flaming out. When the flame goes on, I can see the Yellow Flame LED lights up, I presume it means the sensor detected the flame.

I get a 2 blink error code every time the burner goes out,

One thing I noticed is that there is moisture (trace of water) at the bottom of the pressure switch that goes into the exhaust blower. I didnt get the chance to check the P-Trap for clogs yet.

Its been 2 nights that we are in the cold. Is there any other suggestion that I should look at to get this fixed by myself? I hope I can resolve this tonight to make my wife happy. =)

Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-12-2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-12-2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Post Likes
    Call a professional. Your furnace will get fixed, your wife is happy, life is good.

We do not give DIY advice here. Your furnace is a dangerous appliance and working on it without the proper training could cause harm to yourself or your family.

Post Likes
    I am trying to save up from way too many expenses and tax season coming. I signed up with PSEG Worry Free plan but they wont make any service at the moment, I think I have to wait for 15 days to get the plan.

So we both were staring at the furnace last night figuring out what we can do.

I am good with electrical repairs but not familiar when it comes to furnace. Ok, I will try to clean the trap and see if that will help.
    The PVC pipes exhaust goes up to the roof, I am not sure how I can clean that one. That reminds me of something. I noticed if we get heavy winds, we hear loud vibration from the roof and I am pretty sure its coming from one of those metal covers for the exhaust.

Post Likes
    Can the pressure switch be removed and cleaned?

Quote Originally Posted by n.e.techjim View Post
    did you check the outside intake and exhaust pipes?snow during harsh storms will block pipes.also if you got moisture in pressure switch you should remove an clean but why did water get there? and there is a good chance the pressure switch will be no good and need replacing

Post Likes
    You should not have any water in the burner area (upper half) of the furnace... If you do there is a reason...

Figure out why the water is going where it should not be going.... clean every place the water should not be... and your furnace will work properly.

If this becomes confusing... best get a PRO out... we are familiar with the details...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Probably sucked snow in the intake, the source of the water now. And I know that furnace, that's the culprit.

Post Likes
    Last night.. the upper half area was dry. Then I replaced with a new filter (probably have nothing to do with it), the old one was a year old, very dirty. I fired up the furnace and it worked fine for about close to an hour with no problem. Then it stopped again with the same issue.
    I investigated upper portion of the furnace box and found that there are some water leaking from where the blower motor (black) that connects to the PVC exhaust. I see a small trace of water at the bottom, just below the blower motor. I checked the black glue seal and seems to be cracking from dryness.

I don't know what you called it the black unit that collects the water which connects to the PVC exhaust, then has rubber tube that goes under the second half with another black container. I am wondering if this is clogged? I tried poking a wire with cloth from the outside (exit point) and I see some water from it. I am sorry, I am not familiar with the proper HVAC terms, but I hope you get what I am trying to explain.

By re-sealing the joins/connector from the motor will help?

Post Likes
    You suffered another cold night when you didn't have to. Call a pro. Use our contractor locator map if you need a great pro in your area.

Read the site rules again. We do not give DIY advice here.

One more time: Working on your furnace without the proper training may result in harm to yourself or others!

Post Likes
    Ok.. I will call the local contractor again today. Last time, they refused to come which I dont know why. Thanks again.

Post Likes
    If they refuse...Call a different one.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 02-13-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: non AOP member

Post Likes
    n.e.techjim

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in