Thread: Tinner

Tinner

Just sittin here waiting for a jump start in my van, thought I'd post a question. How many of you guys and your shops out there make all your own duct for new construction, additions, retrofit etc. and how many buy the premade duct?

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

We make everything ourselves, or I should say, they make everything ( our tinners). The only thing I've perfected when it comes to sheet metal, is bleeding.

We make it all. Change out trucks are set up for making fittings at the job site.

we make all our plenums and adapter fittings on the job in our install truck.

any new jobs we buy premade trunk.

I sure would like to learn some sheet metal fabrication

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We make out hoods and transitions, occasionally I'll make a collar if need be but generally we have our plenums made by a sheet metal shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Cli-Max Indoor Air View Post
    I sure would like to learn some sheet metal fabrication

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Sheet metal fabrication is a career that's just as complicated as refrigeration or service. Probably more so.

It takes years of on the job training to get enough experience to be considered a journeyman.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter97 View Post
    Just sittin here waiting for a jump start in my van, thought I'd post a question. How many of you guys and your shops out there make all your own duct for new construction, additions, retrofit etc. and how many buy the premade duct?

I don't feel that it is very cost effective to make most things on site. If you do a good pre install inspection most metal shops can make your stuff twice as fast and when you add up your on site fab hours half as much cost.
    There is of course those weird on site issues that rear their heads and thats why i got smart and hired someone with 7 years off custom metal fab experience to take care of those double offset transitions in a closet that are so fun

so a pre install inspection when do you do this on the sales call? or when?

I make all my plenums, and lately have been making my duct and fittings since I don't really like hanging the premade 28 ga. Drives and S-Slips also come from my shop. A good site to check out is THE SHEET METAL SHOP.COM. They have a forum as well as a library of out of date books that are very interesting and helpful. John

We make all of our duct and fittings, ra elbows etc. I think that it for me anyways gives a bit more sense of pride and accomplishment if that makes any sense.