+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw a tech using these..

Post Likes
    Thanks guys.

I got the YJs from HVCRtools.

The advice on using a the ball valve hose was a great suggestion.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=hvacrmedic;15202431]
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post

They went out of calibration, couldn't even be zeroed. I shipped them to Doug Lockhart so he could look them over. He cut his finger on one of them and promptly smashed them with a sledge hammer. It's a long story.
    Doesn't sound like too long of a story!!!

I have a set of these and I find them very useful for all the reasons everyone uses them for....

Post Likes
    Mine are Marsh's on 90* quick connects.
    Name:  mini_cooper.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  27.3 KB
    I use mine mostly to verify proper compressor phasing at start up.
    "I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=ryan1088;15204071]
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post

Doesn't sound like too long of a story!!!
    LOL! Well the "rest of the story" is long. Let's just say that Doug isn't very fond of Ritchie Engineering Company, Inc.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Can-Gas View Post
    We were just talking about these the other day, or a homemade version at least. I like the idea of them, but I think the rigidity of it would cause problems attaching it to some units. Actually, I should correct that by saying some "installs"....it's not the units fault.
    I use one and it is true that you can have clearance issues. And sometimes it is the unit's fault. On some models, you have the schraeder on the back side of the service valve and it doesn't fit because of other factory stuff in the way. They are not flexible at all. In these cases, I have one of those really short hose extensions with a built-in ball valve that is meant to go on the end of a regular hose. It has a male end and a female end and takes care of the problem. If you make one, just find a fitting to attach the gauge thread to that hose extension thread because you will have clearance issues with the other setup.

Post Likes
    I use them to Pm equipment all the time. minimizes removing a few ounces of refrigerant each PM....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I have a couple like that mounted on thumbscrew type core depressors.
    http://www.cdvalve.com/product-categ.../cd2070/10-169

I mostly use them for getting oil pressure readings on simi-hermetic compressors.
    The depressor lets me open the valve after connecting the gauge, and close it before removing it, so there is almost no mess made.
    I did not know these thumb screw depressors existed. I think I may have to get a few. Any common suppliers carrying them or are they only online?
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    On the thumb screw ones release the pressure on your hose connection otherwise your oring blows out
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jnsrose View Post
    I did not know these thumb screw depressors existed. I think I may have to get a few. Any common suppliers carrying them or are they only online?
    C & D makes them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jnsrose View Post
    I get them at Johnstone supply.

Part #H24-849.

And watch when you remove them, as already mentioned, the little o-ring can blow out real easy (they include spares).

Post Likes
    I had one many years ago but was not too impressed, constantly adj. I think I got mine at Johnstones Supply.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    On the thumb screw ones release the pressure on your hose connection otherwise your oring blows out
    Quote Originally Posted by PMARS2345 View Post
    C & D makes them.
    Quote Originally Posted by 76olds View Post
    I get them at Johnstone supply.

Part #H24-849.

And watch when you remove them, as already mentioned, the little o-ring can blow out real easy (they include spares).
    The ones I linked in my previous post don't have the o-ring blowout issue, because the valve can be back seated.
    After disconnecting, you can crack the valve open slightly to slowly release the pressure held in the tube/hose.
    They are not the same ones 76olds gave a Johnstone part number for.

http://www.hvacr-tools.com/product/c...or-back-seated

Post Likes
    Used em for years on critically charged cascade systems (blood and tissue freezers) & ice machines. They're in my Veto.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in