Heat pump stuck in defrost, could cold temps be the issue?

I have an 18 month old Tempstar 3.5 ton, 13 SEER heat pump/dual fuel that has recently stuck in defrost mode. It heats fine, goes to defrost, and then you can hear the woosh sound of it trying to switch back to heating over and over, but it never stops. This all started happening after the unit sat locked out for days during cold temps (low 20s for highs) and some light snow.

I'm not trying to DIY diagnose, just want to make sure it's not something stupid like that before I pay a service fee on an 18 month old unit.

Thanks,

Mike

You'll need to call your installing contractor. The parts should still be under warranty so anything you "try" will void any coverages. Sorry we can't attempt to diagnose this at this site.

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    You'll need to call your installing contractor. The parts should still be under warranty so anything you "try" will void any coverages. Sorry we can't attempt to diagnose this at this site.
    I think I was pretty clear that I wasn't trying to "try" something or diagnose the problem. I just wanted to see if cold temps along with several days of non operation could cause the issue I'm having before I call the service people.

The parts are covered but the service call is not because it's so old now A simple "this happens from time to time", or "I've never heard of that happening" would have been more than sufficeint. So thanks for nothing. I'll keep in mind that the only advice you can give on this site is to call the installing contractor.

Quote Originally Posted by blk94f150 View Post
    I think I was pretty clear that I wasn't trying to "try" something or diagnose the problem. I just wanted to see if cold temps along with several days of non operation could cause the issue I'm having before I call the service people.

The parts are covered but the service call is not because it's so old now A simple "this happens from time to time", or "I've never heard of that happening" would have been more than sufficeint. So thanks for nothing. I'll keep in mind that the only advice you can give on this site is to call the installing contractor.
    I guess he didn't specifically say ITS NOT WORKING RIGHT....SO CALL YOUR INSTALLING CONTRACTOR.

Happy now?

I had a Heil (same as Tempstar) do the exact same thing. But that was extenuating circumstances so it may be best to have a tech to look at it as with out being there, no one can know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by blk94f150 View Post

The problem you're having should have nothing to do with the temps or snow. The outdoor unit is made to sit outside and not be affected by the elements. Good thing too, because mine sits out in temps of 20 below zero and spends most of the winter covered in snow. Have I ever seen a unit do what yours is doing ....... can't say as I have. Is it possible for a unit to do what yours is doing because of the outdoor conditions....... anything is possible. Is it good for the unit to do what it's doing, no.

As far as not being able to give advice other than call the installing contractor...... with over 51,000 threads in just this area I'm thinking at least a couple of people have been helped with answers to their questions. Each of the Pros here have to make judgement calls each time they answer a question as to whether or not, in their professional opinion, "they" think it's DIY information or not.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Could be several things. Which could be anything from an electrical short to a refrigerant leak. Really hard to give you a good idea of what it is, with out being there.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?