+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you run Warranty calls on nights and Weekends?

Post Likes

Frown How many of you run Warranty calls on nights and Weekends?

I work for a company that runs warranty on Saturday til about 5pm then we charge normal charges plus after hour trip charges plus hourly etc.

Reason I ask, is because I had a client call me this evening wanting a warranty service call on a tstat he installed that does not have any power going to it. Now mind you its a new install and it is under warranty, but their is a gray area here with the client installing the new tstat. So I told the client that we do not run warranty calls on Sunday PM, and it would be the after hour charge, and we could get to him as soon as possible during the work week for no charge. He grumbled and the conversation was over...

Make a long story short, the client calls back, complaining to the after hour service about the after hour charge, so I had to call him back again and listen to him complain about having to pay for me to come out on a Sunday night, and how he was going to tell everyone he could about how displeased he was and practically sounded like he wanted my head on a pike.

I was disappointed with his attitude for one, he put a tstat on his wall, and I am sure a monkey could do it with the instruction available, but still that is a complication, chances are he prob, blew a fuse, or in that area there has been allot of drain issues, float switches activating due to installation issues..

In addition, this client has 2 central air systems in his house...

I can understand after dealing with this spoiled rich man, who has an entitlement complex, why so many people dislike the rich..

Not to mention I am about an hour transit wise from his location..

So my question is how many companies out there, run warranty calls on Sunday nights? Most company's I worked for frown on running warranty calls on Weekends holidays etc, because you usually need warranty parts...

He was shocked and in awe, that the company I work for does not run warranty calls on Sunday nights? I am just curious if their are legions of HVAC, service techs out their chomping at the bit to run warranty calls on Sunday nights..

Post Likes
    He installed his own stat and your covering under warranty??
    Normal business hours are m-f 9 - 5 .. Anything after that is 2 hr minimum and weekend is 4 hr minimum.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    He bought the thermostat from your company and installed it himself. I'd have HIM bring me the thermostat, test it and decide if it is a warranty issue or not.
    Does he expect Lowes of HD to open up on a Sunday night to replace something he bought during the week?

I wouldn't want him as a customer.

Post Likes
    would the GM or Ford place open up after hrs for a warranty repair on thier vehicle, me thinks not, we will only run after hours warranty calls if the install is 30 days or newer, (incase its an installation issue) all other warranty calls are during regular business hours,
    The 2008 NATE TOP TECH!!!!!

Post Likes
    We don't even run warranty at all after hours. Only in very rare circumstances. We now write on all of our proposals "all warrant work to be done during regular business hours."

If he installed his own stat wouldn't that even void the factory warranty if you really want be technical about it.

Post Likes
    thanks... For a moment I thought something was wrong with me... Just for a moment...

Post Likes
    What really sucks are people who call for after hours service on non-emergency issues. If your heat/cool works it can wait until regular business hours.

Post Likes
    We run warranty calls after hours. We want referrals from our customers. You leave a family that spent big bucks with you without heat all weekend, they will be telling all their friends not to deal with you!

Post Likes
    In this case I would probably inform the customer that if the issue is related to them installing the thermostat themselves, then they WILL be charged for a service/diagnostic fee, call out fee and labor, however if it is something else, factory authorized parts Won't be available until the first part of the week.

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Post Likes
    wow, remind me to never reffer work to you guys. ill buy from baldloonie first

poor customer service kills most small business's faster than all other reasons combined.

if i spent thousands on what im sure you promised is the greatest system ever and it crapped out and was told to i had to wait just like everyone else id let everyone know ( facebook, twitter tec ) how pissed i was..

as far as the HO messing it up, my technician would be expected to warranty the diagnostics and then advised the HO why there may be charges. BTW sometimes what it take to fix their screw ups might be nothing more that rewiring there big box thermostat.

whats that cost you compare to the bad press you will get by blaming him.

a little good will goes a very very long way
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

Post Likes
    Simple fact: HO took charge to change his t-stat. Unit was running beforehand. There is no way that's a warranty call. That's a service charge through and through. No gray area here. How it should be handled is up to the business owner. But a customer thinking they're entitled to "free work" i'd happily cut them loose. Bad press or not.

Post Likes
    Why is the guy buying a new t-stat on a new system, what a moron.

Post Likes
    customer installed=no warranty period. if hes upset-ask him if he is called into work sunday night does he go for free ?

Post Likes
    We have an on call service guy 24/7 for warranty calls, our maintenance customers, or basically anybody else that spends the 10 minutes to listen to our office's after hours voicemail. Kind of screws up my weekend when I see a strange number calling me and I realize it's the week where I'm on call...but I'm out hunting.

Post Likes
    We run on call 24/7 but if the homeowner installs the stat himself it is no longer warrantied work by us, we would charge after hours service call rates to work on it. If he didnt want to spend the money to have you install the stat in the first place that is fine but by doing so he took your obligation out of it. No reason you should spend your money working on the stat that he installed especially on off hours

Post Likes
    Each of us puts our into this thread...

Personally... I would NEVER install a new system without a new stat... been burned too many times before.

As to this situation: Rich folks are rich because they play games... the whining will go on as long as you have them for a customer.

My question would be: Do I want this customer enough to invest the time (at your expense). If so... then suck it up and run the warranty call... If not... Well I would explain the stat is his stat; I would come out and diagnose the issue. If it is covered under warranty... I will repair it. If it is his stat or his install of the stat... it will cost. And get approval to charge BEFORE going out.

If he refuses... write him off and replace him with a new customer (hopefully one who is easier to deal with).

Having said this... if the customer is giving you lots of referrals... and you want them to continue... may need to suck it up and go fix it... on your dime.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Of course I run warranty calls after hours. I can not imagine telling someone with a 7 month old system, "sorry, your warranty is not valid after 5".

That is crazy!

With that said, I only warranty parts and equipment that I install. If I took that call I would let them know that there is no "warranty" because their is nothing I installed to "warranty".
    It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.

~Albert Camus

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae12 View Post
    I work for a company that runs warranty on Saturday til about 5pm then we charge normal charges plus after hour trip charges plus hourly etc.

Reason I ask, is because I had a client call me this evening wanting a warranty service call on a tstat he installed that does not have any power going to it. Now mind you its a new install and it is under warranty, but their is a gray area here with the client installing the new tstat. So I told the client that we do not run warranty calls on Sunday PM, and it would be the after hour charge, and we could get to him as soon as possible during the work week for no charge. He grumbled and the conversation was over...

Make a long story short, the client calls back, complaining to the after hour service about the after hour charge, so I had to call him back again and listen to him complain about having to pay for me to come out on a Sunday night, and how he was going to tell everyone he could about how displeased he was and practically sounded like he wanted my head on a pike.

I was disappointed with his attitude for one, he put a tstat on his wall, and I am sure a monkey could do it with the instruction available, but still that is a complication, chances are he prob, blew a fuse, or in that area there has been allot of drain issues, float switches activating due to installation issues..

In addition, this client has 2 central air systems in his house...

I can understand after dealing with this spoiled rich man, who has an entitlement complex, why so many people dislike the rich..

Not to mention I am about an hour transit wise from his location..

So my question is how many companies out there, run warranty calls on Sunday nights? Most company's I worked for frown on running warranty calls on Weekends holidays etc, because you usually need warranty parts...

He was shocked and in awe, that the company I work for does not run warranty calls on Sunday nights? I am just curious if their are legions of HVAC, service techs out their chomping at the bit to run warranty calls on Sunday nights..
    i guess not enough info to answer whether or not to warranty a diagnosis.

id need to know "why did he decide he needed to replace his t-stat"

if it was for no other reason then he wanted to, then no...

if he felt his system wasnt controlling temps well, then maybe the new system wasnt working correctly, then yes.

but then again why didnt he call to begin with... of course who can tell with some customers, they're people and some people well, off center???
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

Post Likes
    Word of mouth is the best advertisement, we have put a lot of companies up here out of business solely from our service departments ability to respond quickly to demanding out of state customers who own vacation homes up here with multiple systems. When i am on call, i dont plead with them to wait until monday, i just go and find out whats wrong and get them heat, and dont whine about it. Ive had customers from the east coast say, we never would have gotten service like that in new jersey, and hand me a twenty spot.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Why is the guy buying a new t-stat on a new system, what a moron.
    Why wasnt a new stat installed with the furnace, we include a new honeywell focus pro 5000 or 6000 stat with every furnace and or ac install

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in