Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The way you put it in your first post, this machine is older and has been running for years. Why not just pipe cooling water from the well and let it run? How would an inspector even come to know about it?

Also, if the machine has been running for that long and the condenser hasn't been descaled, it is probably using nearly twice as much condenser water as it would if it was clean. It might be so scaled up that you won't even be able to clean it out completely.

In my time and experience, I have never seen a water cooled ice machine that wasn't connected to the same potable water as the cooling water. In that case, it wouldn't make any difference except that the cold water potable water feed must be backflow protected from the cooling part because it is water used on an unknown source.

It was the well water which is considered of a questionable source and the potable municipal water source that was my question. Any ice maker has to be backflow protected.

As far as descaling, it probably needs to be done. A refrigeration person does that. Whether he dors it is beyond my pay grade.

Nearly all of our water cooled machines, and there are a fair amount of them, are on loop water, not potable water.

To be honest, I haven't seen any water cooled ice machines where I work because of the high cost of water. These are small machines.

This all started because it was my understanding that someone claiming to have authority told the owner that he was forbidden to use their well water for any type of process piping. The other process piping used for cooling, I don't feel the person had the legal right to deny the use. In the ice maker, I wasn't so sure even though I didn't think it coould be denied. Ask the experts.

I consider it "Geothermal Cooling". A totally green use. What could be better?

What is "Loop Water"?

Quote Originally Posted by icesailor View Post
    What is "Loop Water"?
    Water supplied from the building's cooling tower. A lot of the larger buildings have tower water supplied for HVAC and refrigeration purposes.

Oh, and they can also be placed on the chilled water loop. There are a lot of these in the larger buildings and some hotels around here.

I guessed as much. The water is probably treated and recycled? Its a closed loop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12