Anyone ever been their own "General Contractor"?

I have a 1500 sq ft 3 br rental house that caught fire and will need to be redone. Most of damage is smoke. I can do the HVAC, clean-up and demo.

I would like to do all the subcontracting. I have the time and the basic knowledge of plumbing and elect. I'm going to sub out all the plumbing,elect to licened contractors, painting and sheetrock. I can do the tile and plan to put a tankless water heater in.

I'm weak in knowledge of carpentry and smoke clean-up,will hire pros for that. I can do the insulation. I get 10% off at Lowes on material.

What do y'all think?

Thanks,
    STUD

Go for it. I've never done it but it sounds logical. I would probably do the same. If you are keeping it as a rental I would avoid a tankless. More initial cost for them to save money, and more likely to get a call in the middle of the night when it's not working.

I think this is a great way to save money. Just make sure to meet with your local inspector to see what his hot button issues are so you know ahead of time what he might look extra carefully at and you do it right the first time. This method would have saved me some headaches on my remodel.

When I bought my new house I pulled my own permits for my windows and kitchen...had no problems and passed inspections. The inspector was surprised I had no background installing impact glass doors/windows. hahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC/Stud View Post
    I have a 1500 sq ft 3 br rental house that caught fire and will need to be redone. Most of damage is smoke. I can do the HVAC, clean-up and demo.

I would like to do all the subcontracting. I have the time and the basic knowledge of plumbing and elect. I'm going to sub out all the plumbing,elect to licened contractors, painting and sheetrock. I can do the tile and plan to put a tankless water heater in.

I'm weak in knowledge of carpentry and smoke clean-up,will hire pros for that. I can do the insulation. I get 10% off at Lowes on material.

What do y'all think?

Thanks,
    STUD
    No DIY!
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Yeah, why the hell would any tradesman hire a GC if he/she had the time to do it themselves, you won't find anybody to do as good a job as you would on your own property.