Hello. I just found this site am I am very happy I have. My situation could fall under residential but I believe the best answers will come from the commercial side of this forum.

I have a 2000 sq. ft slab building with 12' high ceilings. Over the past two years I blew out 95% of the original interior and installed two new bathrooms (one commercial) a waiting room, utility room, office, workshop storage space and two recording studios. The recording studios are built as complete separate pods within the structure. 2"x4" walls with R-13 toped with 3 layers of 5/8" drywall. A 2.5" air gap then another 2"x4" R-13 and again topped with 3 layers of 5/8" drywall. Special door seals surround solid core doors that open away from each other. Ceilings are 3 layers of 5/8" drywall to 2"x6" joists with R-19, a 2.5 air gap then my trusses with R-38. Needless to say these two rooms are overbuilt for sound proofing needs but also create an airtight insulated space where moving musicians will be creating some BTU's.
A 4 ton Hydron Geo was installed by a contractor who also installed 3 Zonex dampers. One for each studio and the other for the rest of the building.

Problem #1): Copeland Scroll compressor. This thing is LOUD with a large amount of vibration. A factory rep immediately sent a new compressor with a compressor blanket, new capacitor ( no increase in size ) and a entire new fan unit (with cage) due to the fact that this unit must have been dropped HARD and suffered bent interior components. Installer replaced components. The compressor is as loud as before. This unit is a horizontal style and rests on top of a mezzanine created by the 2 bathrooms with lower ceiling heights. All 2'x6" construction with insulation and heavy board covers for walls and ceilings. Bathroom fixtures rattle and the start up noise will cause anybody to be startled. Should a compressor of this type be so loud and create such vibration and dim the lighting for the entire building? I increased the transformer size for our home from a 25KV to a 100KV. (The home and building are on the same property. All wiring is new and can handle the load fully.

Problem#2) Zoning - 3 dampers were installed. The rep examined them yesterday. 2 don't even work and are the wrong models for the demands. Fresh air MUST be fed to the studios due to their tight construction. Situations will clearly occur when the studios will call for cooling while the waiting room and the rest will need heat. 3 thermostats involved. This is a TWO STAGE SINGLE PHASE unit. The thermostats in the studios are Emerson and are for SINGLE STAGE operation only. A more complex thermostat is in the waiting room that can see two stage requirements. This morning I averted a FIRE when I replaced a blown 3 amp fuse inside of the Geo unit on the thermostat board. I checked the thermostats and found one of the studio single stage units arcing. I pulled the unit off of the wall and observed both backup batteries had blown (two new Duracell Alkaline AA). This sent acid to hit the circuit board allowing a fire to start. The outer casing and wall plates for the unit are scorched and the circuit board is burnt. What could cause 2 new batteries to blow out? Is there any chance that this was the wrong thermostat for the job when there was a call for two stage from the Geo? Any other experiences with 1F86-0471 firing up? I am replacing the 3 dampers with new working units that will be adjusted for constant air induction into the studios. Right now if all three worked NO air would be sent unless there is a call for heat or cooling due to the open closed cycle type installed right now.

Problem #4) Short cycling - At what point would a consumer be correct to call for service when the issue is short cycling. We have had Geo in our home for the past 15 years without any problems. I only say this so you know I am not new to this technology or application. When the three thermostats were set on a earlier test the unit started and stopped 10 times or more and that was only measured by the number of times the compressor kicked on or the second stage fan was called for. This unit sounded like it would explode if it kept up the pace it was set at.

So...I apologize for the long post. #1) Does it sound like I have a problem with the compressor? I am being told it is normal by the installer. #2) Do you believe the new damper plan with WORKING dampers, that allow for air to pass with the fan set to run full time, will work? Will this work with the the specific and unusual needs of the heating and cooling demands? #4) Relates to the last, will the new dampers work with the unit to provide a more efficient constant operation that equals the design of the system? #5) Is my other thermostat ready to explode? Should I just replace the burnt one with a new identical one?

I thank you very much. I am aware that professional courtesy may temper or keep some of you from diving into this full bore. I understand. I hope the anonymity of a forum like this may be to my advantage. Yes. You are correct. I am not very happy with the contractor I hired for this job and that includes a large number of reasons not to be mentioned here. Fortunately I am receiving outside help that is keeping me sane. Any additional assistance you can provide would be a godsend. Thanks again!
Gavindale