Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Double float switches

Hello guys.
    Just would like to know your thoughts on haveing two float switches in your drain pan.
    My boss wants two on every install.Is it over kill or is he right.I am new with the company and to installs.

We have 2 on all of our ceiling heat pumps mounted just above the drop ceiling. It really depends on the application I guess. Ours seem to work well for the most part. The buck stops with your boss and he is just being careful.

I like the idea of two. If my unit was above my ceiling it would have two.

Quote Originally Posted by socotech View Post
    I like the idea of two. If my unit was above my ceiling it would have two.
    +1. a lot cheaper than fixing the damage

One on each end of the pan just in case it comes loose/shifts.

I bought a house with an attic unit, one switch. I "intended" to put one on the other end of the overflow pan - but never did. Squirrels found the drain line, and filled the slightly out of level pan. I did install the second switch, right before I replaced the sheet rock ceiling in two rooms. Nothing aggravates your wife like neglecting your own equipment - while taking care of everyone else.

Switches are super cheap. So we put one in the pan and one in-line in the drain. If it's a very big pan we put in two pan switches as well. The inline switches are really awesome, hopefully stop the leak before it fills up a pan, runs out the return plenum, or any other random way ... water always seems to win.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Become a Fan on Facebook.

We install a ez trap with a safty switch on all installs and a pan switch on all auxillary drain pans

What do most of u guys do on downflow mobile home jobs where there is only one 3/4 inch female as the primary and no secondary port? Or mini splits that naturally drain in the rear outside?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk
    If you can not do it right, Why even do it at all?

clean-out t to screw in 3150 e aqua guard

yeah, i've run into this a few times myself where theres no secondary or no access to it, and what we do is put the 3/4 inch screw in part of float switch in the top of a blow out t or clean out t (before trap in vertical position) then the pan switch goes along with it. i dont think its overkill because bossman has spent over 5 grand in the past few months on water damage due to failed switches etc. but also you're going to have a drain clog causing water spills or cracked evap drain pan spills. so having one for both places always seemed like a good idea to me. definitely need to look into that eztrap inline switch sounds like a better alternative. Take it easy

DS

I think its over kill to put two in the pan.
    The float switches we've used the last 10 years or so are much more reliable than the old ones.
    When we put a unit in the attic we build a solid level platform for the unit.
    The secondary pan should already have a drain where the water runs out & doesn't let the water get high enough to trip the float switch most of the time anyways. I could see putting an extra one in the line like the EZ-trap so the water never gets to the pan but two in the pan seems worthless unless nobody knows how to use a level.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    We install a ez trap with a safty switch on all installs and a pan switch on all auxillary drain pans
    sorry to hijack, but how have your EZ traps held up over time. Do those red plastic caps ever leak?

Quote Originally Posted by stemps22 View Post
    yeah, i've run into this a few times myself where theres no secondary or no access to it, and what we do is put the 3/4 inch screw in part of float switch in the top of a blow out t or clean out t (before trap in vertical position) then the pan switch goes along with it. i dont think its overkill because bossman has spent over 5 grand in the past few months on water damage due to failed switches etc. but also you're going to have a drain clog causing water spills or cracked evap drain pan spills. so having one for both places always seemed like a good idea to me. definitely need to look into that eztrap inline switch sounds like a better alternative. Take it easy

DS
    well the reason i ask is that local mech code inspector is now requiring secondary switch and drain lines even on something like a mobile home where there is only one drain location or even say mini splits, geothermal etc. Also cannot use the supplied hose kits that come with coils and everything has to be hard piped to outside if only ac and not 90% furnace. What are your guys thoughts
    If you can not do it right, Why even do it at all?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast