Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've always made i a point to document it and get the paperwork signed by the customer. It just covers your a** in the future. And yes I would charge full price if they declined and then the part went bad after recommending they repair on a pm or whatever...

I write down the findings on the service ticket and that the customer declined repairing at this time.They sign the service ticket and are given a copy. If they call nights or weekend the part costs the same but the hourly rate is time and a half. No big deal either way,it's their money to spend when they want. Can't say I've ever had one deline replacing a weak capacitor or ignitor since the parts are less than another call. The spendy stuff like an inducer assembly is another story though.

Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    I write down the findings on the service ticket and that the customer declined repairing at this time.They sign the service ticket and are given a copy. If they call nights or weekend the part costs the same but the hourly rate is time and a half. No big deal either way,it's their money to spend when they want. Can't say I've ever had one deline replacing a weak capacitor or ignitor since the parts are less than another call. The spendy stuff like an inducer assembly is another story though.
    Yep, the Customer is boss. "Pay me now or pay me latter" it's up to them. Document, document, document.
    A smooth sea has never made a worthy mariner
    English proverb

Thanks for the input everyonr. It sounds like we are all pretty much going about it the same way. And to clarify, This only happens with a small numer of customers (<5%) from my experience. I feel it just defeats the purpose of a PM.

If they have you out on a PM and then decline to have the identified issues taken care of, then they are stupid. What was their intention in having you out? Of course they should be charged for a trip charge/diagnostic fee, part and labor. Maybe next time they'll think twice before wasting everyone's time and their money.

Some customers do not understand it costs to run a company... they think everything revolves around them.

YES, when I am at someone's home and suggest a part is failing...If they refuse to approve the repair... They will pay full price when they call me out to do the repair another time.

OTOH: I am careful to NOT recommend replacing a part unless it is close to the end of its life.... or it is making noise the customer can hear. It is easy to get a rep of hustling repairs which may not be needed... something I avoid doing.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12