+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Controls Interview

Post Likes

Controls Interview

I've only been a commercial service technician in my 11 years of doing this. I have a job interview for a controls position. I was wondering what kind of questions might they ask? I have never interviewed for a controls position before.

Post Likes
    I interviewed for a controls position and got it in December. Basically I was honest told them I have been a mechanic for the last 6 years and have dabbled with DDC when I have needed to. Although my company didnt ask me about schematics, if your not good with them brushing up wouldn't hurt. Asked about sequel server and any PLC experience. Be honest, don't say you know it and you don't they will call your bluff quickly. Good Luck!

Post Likes
    Are you applying for an entry level position?

Post Likes
    obviously they know you dont have controls experience. sell your self. your work ethic. your eagerness to learn. your ability to learn fast.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

We have freedom because somebody fought for it.
    We keep it because we are willing to fight for it.
    We lose it because we are not willing to fight for it.

Post Likes
    Yes entry level

Post Likes
    Like vice said, be honest and sell them on you. Learn quick, have resources and want to learn. If you have any experience on DC voltage or checking milliamps, that would be worth mentioning IMO. Controls is a lot of ladder work also, so mentioning that you don't mind that could be helpful too.

Post Likes
    Quality HVAC guys have a edge on everyone else when it comes to getting a control job. It is a lot easer to teach a HVAC tech the computer side than to teach a cumputer guy the HVAC side.

That's not saying the only HVAC guys can be control guys. We have several quality contol guys at my company that had no HVAC experience when the were hired here.
    This recession won't be over until we raise a generation that knows how to live on what they’ve got.

Post Likes
    It is hard to say what they will ask. Most companies have a hard time finding qualified people. Many are happy to develop their techs from the bottom up. They want people that are willing to work hard, learn on their own time, and have good problem solving skills.

Post Likes
    Do you know how to explain what is a (wheatstone bridge) Thats what I was asked but that was 30 yrs ago.

Post Likes
    Intech , did you get the job? If so how is it going?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in