Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Capz View Post
    Why does Copeland offer fractional indoor condensing units with or without the receiver?
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Most the time I find units with receivers using txv and units without using cap tubes.
    But not on Traulsen. That was the point of my first post.

I think some "receiver" capacity is in the design of the condenser. Or the condenser can hold the entire refrigerant charge. If memory serves I've serviced a few freezers with TXV's and no receiver that still had a liquid valve that allowed you to pump it down for service procedures. The condensers were able to hold the entire system charge. Ditto with A/C units.

They make refrigerators for a market that is saturated with cheap equipment, built with corner cutting in mind. Refrigerant is expensive, use less and you save money. Even with a receiver they would put in just enough for it to work, so might as well cut the receiver out and save that coin too.

Just my opinion. Can't imagine that anything other than cost drives the use of critical charge systems with TXVs.

There is no need for a receiver in a system where the ambient is controlled and the load doesn't vary much.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

The receiver is not for pump down nessisarily. It's needed when additional flooding charge is required for low ambient operation. If ambient is controlled, as pointed out earlier, the cond coil can hold the entire charge during pump down. A lot of your reach in equipment may not have or need a receiver. Self contained reach in equipment any way. Remotes may need them even if cond is in controlled ambient depending on lineset.

Quote Originally Posted by Capz View Post
    Seeing it on 10' prep tables with dual evaps, two txv's
    They oversize there condenser coils as well.

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Sounds like someone is installing the wrong condensing units.
    The condensing units are factory. From 1984 and still kicking. I have at least eight of these older units configered with recievers and cap tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by mike1020 View Post
    The condensing units are factory. From 1984 and still kicking. I have at least eight of these older units configered with recievers and cap tubes.
    I have never seen a factory condensing unit use a receiver with a cap tube system. How about you get us some model numbers and we do some investigating ? Or might you be seeing cap tubes coming from a distributor ?

Depends on how the TXV sits relative to the condensor, and what the capacity is. Plenty of low charge systems have no reciever. Like someone mentioned earlier, many AC's don't have recievers. As long as there is a good supply of liquid refrigerant consistantly between the TXV and the condenser, it will still function well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12