Help with outside sensor for heat pump/gas furnace.

I am seeking assistance on the best placement of the outside sensor that controls my heat pump/gas furnace. My hvac system is sold under the name of Goodman and it uses the Honeywell vision pro thermostat.

My concerns over the outsider sensor is that the readings of outside temperature deviate by 5 - 8 degrees from the actual outside temperature. I noticed that when it rains, the temperature deviation is even more. For example, the other day when it rained, the actual outside temperature was 42 degrees; the reading on the thermostat said that the outside temperature was 11 - 21 degrees . . . Wierd!

I'm wondering if the placement of the outside should be in a sheltered place. Any assistance on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Iomega7

In the shade. Never heard of rain bothering them unless water is getting in a connection.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

I haven't world on residential heat pump systems in forever, but in a DDC system the sensor always is on the north side of the building.

North side half way up the wall

If it is being used for the performance of the heat pump for staging or lockout. I put them right by the condenser. That way it is monitoring the actual temperature of where the action is occurring. There will be large temperature differences from one side of the house to the other. If you are just using it so you can see what the outside temp is from the stat. Put it somewhere so it isn't affected by shade or lack thereof, or north wind blowing on it.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

i like to put them on the north side of the house under the eve if possible .also the sensor is supposed to be a seperate wire all the way to the thermostat.i see some people use the white indoor sensor outside and they dont work well you need the black outdoor sensor
    We really need change now

Is it normal to get a temperature deviation of 5 or more degrees between the thermostat reading and the actual outdoor temperature? Is it possible that I could have a bad sensor? How can I check this? Thank you for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    In the shade. Never heard of rain bothering them unless water is getting in a connection.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

check them by setting a quality thermometer next to the sensor they should be with in 2-3 degrees of each other
    We really need change now

there is a temp to ohm chart to reference for sensor accuracy. it usually comes with the sensor or available with an online search.

as stated in some cases, sensor is required to be run with special wire and by itself.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ