Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have SEER confusion: Help?

I am close to making a final decision on my roof unit and an install company, but I would appreciate some help with SEER ratings. The two final gas/elec package units in the running are:

RUUD RRRL-C-024 (16 SEER residential, limited Lifetime HX, 80% AFUE)
    Trane XL14C (14 SEER, 20ys HX, 80% AFUE)

Are you just suppose to buy the highest SEER rating you can? There are other reasons I would consider the Trane over the RUUD. Thoughts?

Seer rating while important is not all to look at. The installing company should be carefully selected as this can make or break any install. Which one did a load cal. On your home to size it properly, looked at duct work and made a good case for you to choose them without bad mouthing others.

Higher seer systems are great for comfort but the ROI is really never there. A good base for most customers to consider is 13 seer is the min. Seer rating allowed so anything above that is good in regards to energy savings. If money is not your concern then going with higher seer equipment will provide you with good electric bills and comfort when sized and installed propely.

My company is a Trane dealer and have installed serval XL14 package systems with good results. I am not fumilar with Ruud systems so can't comment on the differanes between Trane and Ruud but just make sure you are getting a apples to apples estimate from both contractors.

either will be a good unit if properly installed
    We really need change now

It depends where you live
    whether the CDD's will make a significant operating cost difference based a difference of 1 or 2 SEER.

CDD < 600 A few $$ per Year, comfort level might be increased more by investing in a 12 pack or two.

CDD < 1,300 ... Not much, probably << $45 for a 3-ton.
    i.e., Louisville KY ... 1,288

http://climate-zone.com/climate/united-states/

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/...higan/lansing/
    CDD= 490

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/...ky/louisville/
    CDD= 1,288

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/.../jacksonville/
    CDD =2,551
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

The way I explain SEER to my customers is to think of two cars that have the same amount of power but one gets 15mpg & the other gets 20mpg. A higher SEER may have more features but that is something the dealer can explain. In theory a 16 SEER puts out 16 btu's of cooling for every 1 watt of electricity consumed & a 14 SEER 14 btu's per watt. But SEER can be tricky because the SEER can be higher or lower than the rating depending on the indoor match up. Then there's always whether the system is installed properly with the duct system to achieve its proper rating. The only negative to the higher SEER is more bells & whistles could mean more possible problems.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

Also, EER is likely pretty close. So while SEER is supposedly seasonally adjsuted... ie weighted for a range of outdoor temepratures. If you live in a very hot climate, EER ratings (effciecny at 95F otudoors temps) mean a lot more.

Might remember that if you install a 16 SEER unit... you get a small FED tax credit (installed in 2013). That Ruud RRRL will have a VS drive motor... that is an extra $50 on the tax credit.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...edits.tx_index
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

The RUUD unit has a stainless steel heat exchanger and a 2 speed compressor along with a variable speed blower motor. This is quite a unit.
    2 speed a/c's de humidify better than single speed a/c's
    you can also buy an optional de-humidistat that will slow the blower motor by 15% if the humidity is higher than the control setting, and will de humidify even better.
    As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another Proverbs 27:17 NIV84

In our area the jump in cost between 14 and 16 SEER can't be paid for within the normal lifetime of the eqiupment. In other words, it'll be worn out before the break-even point is reached. I know some don't use this to justify the extra cost, but I've been asked that too many times to ignore by the perspective customer.

In a few years... in my part of the country... 14 SEER will be the minimum (unless the govt changes their mind AGAIN). At that point... 14 SEER will become 'cheap' (economy of scale).

The next logical step IMO would be 16 SEER... which is generally 2 stage (be interesting to see if single stage 16 SEER comes out). Generally I sell 16 SEER as comfort more than 'payback'.

Now with the tax credit... 16 SEER makes a little more sense in the payback category. The key factor is how long one will stay in the house.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    In a few years... in my part of the country... 14 SEER will be the minimum (unless the govt changes their mind AGAIN). At that point... 14 SEER will become 'cheap' (economy of scale).

The next logical step IMO would be 16 SEER... which is generally 2 stage (be interesting to see if single stage 16 SEER comes out). Generally I sell 16 SEER as comfort more than 'payback'.

Now with the tax credit... 16 SEER makes a little more sense in the payback category. The key factor is how long one will stay in the house.
    Heil has a 16 seer single stage.
    As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another Proverbs 27:17 NIV84

Are they going to replace/improve ductwork, and how old is it? The Ruud has nicer features such as variable speed blower and 2 stage compressor, but if your ductwork is old and undersized you will not be getting what you are supposed to. The Trane is nice and may be best choice if you are keeping existing duct.

4 all we know the OP is paying < $0.06 / kW and is South of LAT 37'N and may only need a Heat Pump.

http://www.amana-hac.com/Portals/1/pdf/SS/SS-APH15M.pdf

I guess LOCATION is always a Secret.
    But, the most meaningful conversation does not even Really Begin until you know locale, gas and electric rates.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast