+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Constant cut-in T-stat

Post Likes

Constant cut-in T-stat

What's the difference between between the coiled and pigtailed ones. Had a Delfield reachin cooler with cold rail on top, the TXV fed evap underneath had a bad pigtailed T-stat, replaced it with a coiled captube styled one. Not sure if each has a specific application that I'm not aware of. Thanks in advance for any info.

Post Likes
    Not sure what you mean by pigtailed. The coiled cap tube just gives you kind of a poor-man's sensing bulb allowing more of the cap tube to be in contact with the coil. The main thing to watch for is temp range and cut-in temp, and to make sure the sensing portion is mounted the same way as factory (in the coil, in a well, in the air stream, etc.)

Post Likes
    The Delfield reach ins are real touchy. We have had best luck using OEM stats and they must be inserted in the same place in the coil.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    You can wrap the capillary of the A12-700 around a screwdriver and make it look like a pigtail just like a Delfield one, by the way! I also stick with Delfield t-stats for Delfield units. But I have seen A12-700's used successfully (by others) on Delfields, too. Whether the capillary is in a pigtail or not doesn't really matter. If you use a straight one that is not pigtailed (which I think you are calling a "coiled" capillary, since they are coiled up?) Just be sure to fold it up a few times if necessary, to get at least 6" contacting the coil. I've always figured more is better, so I usually fold it until I have several feet of capillary folded up stuck into the coil.

*edit* as already posted, the important thing is to get the same temperature range. Delfield (If I recall correctly) t-stats use a 37*f cut-in and 20* cut out (at mid point setting).

Post Likes
    A12-701 will work . That's all I use on reach-in coolers .

Post Likes
    A12-701 is all i use also. constant cut in of 41. stick it in the evap coil. range of 15 to 31 i think

Post Likes
    In my opinion, Delfield reach ins have air flow issues. Therefore, you must use a constant cut in stat and never an air temperature thermostat, even a digital one. If you do, the evaps will freeze up

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by QTEMP View Post
    In my opinion, Delfield reach ins have air flow issues. Therefore, you must use a constant cut in stat and never an air temperature thermostat, even a digital one. If you do, the evaps will freeze up
    Most definitely. My old boss, the hack he is used an A30-261 .. would turn the dial all the way to the right and back a hair. Talk about iced over coils

Like crazy eye and vanilla I too only use A12-701 except in beer boxes where I like to keep the cut in lower where I use a 700.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Thanks for all the info guys.

Post Likes
    Good info. Will be keeping a 700 and 701 on my truck all times now..

Post Likes
    As I remember, the pigtails are to be inserted inside the coil so all the coil temp can be sensed. Constant cut-ins are typically set at 38 degrees or so and that makes the inside of the evap ice free.

Mounting the sensor on the face of the evap does in insure that the evap is ice free except for the face of the evap. Ice could still be built up on the inside rows of the evap..and typically is.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in